Cranston, RI - July 3, 2018

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Marched 97 - 98 at cadets (Bello) but several years at glassmen. Our whole staff in high school was Glassmen alum from the 90s too. 

Ahh, I wouldn't have known him then. 

2 hours ago, boxingfred said:

The Sky is not falling. Bluecoats didn't have their best run last night. 

Boston is very good and Cadets are catching fire.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Everyone needs to remember that the closer scores get to 100, the tighter the scores have to get. It’s the nature of the system. If you get to the mid-80s and you see gaps of more than 1.5 points, it becomes very difficult to overtake the corps ahead of you. The gaps will close, but the relative placements tend to stick. It’s just the nature of how DCI scoring works, like it or not.

Lol why does this all need to be said to people who are already familiar with how drum corps scoring works? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

69 Mad Plaid Kiltie juniors were awesome too. Won VFW that year. 

First Nats I saw, as a member of a class 'B' Garden State Circuit corps. I was almost 16 that summer. A carload of us drove down to Philly from North Jersey where we lived. Loved the Kilties!  My favorite corps was  Blessed Sac though, growing up through the 60's, and their 69 show is a classic on my personal favorite list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I do think the relative placements between Crown, Boston and Cavaliers will be really tight. In the end I think Crown will win out and finish fourth, but only because no one will overtake their brass caption. Crown's show is thee weakest of the three conceptually, but they will continue to layer and add new things. They desperately need a new ending that ties this thing together, not sure it's gonna happen. 

Of the three, Boston has the most legs. They are the strongest overall of the group. 

I concur, but would enter Cadets as a wildcard to jump into this mix. Last week, I counted them out completely, but now see them bringing their strong brass/percussion content to life. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CorpwithanS said:

Is that a band instrument?  It's actually a code for "nah".  lol2

Ah ha! That makes sense.  :-) And yes... sure is!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

Agree and disagree. I thought last night was the best of the three Boston area performances for Bloo, though friends thought Lawrence was the best even though Bloo scored better in Lynn and Cranston. While I thought it was a great night and each corps had a better technical show, each corps did show some signs of fatigue which is understandable: three shows, three nights, all day practice, heat. However, for Bloo there were no amplification issues regarding the vocalist. Both solos came across perfectly which could be why I thought they had a better run. I was also sitting pretty close to the field, and you get a different perspective higher up.

However, if you are correct about saying Bloo did not have it’s best run, that’s not a comfort for BD, SCV, and Crown. 

Most of the time people base their observations on what they are told...not what they experience live...I take them with grain of salt...yet sometimes the latter is the case as well...

4 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Ahh, I wouldn't have known him then. 

Lol why does this all need to be said to people who are already familiar with how drum corps scoring works? 

Good question. But every year it needs to be said because a lot of people here look at the score is getting tighter and think that the placements are getting tighter. It’s the nature of a close to scoring system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

Ah ha! That makes sense.  :-) And yes... sure is!

All the best and good luck to your Cadets! Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Good question. But every year it needs to be said because a lot of people here look at the score is getting tighter and think that the placements are getting tighter. It’s the nature of a close to scoring system.

I guess that makes sense. Gotta remind a chef that he needs a pan that sticks in order to get a good sear on the meat.