Houston.... I mean, Katy show- July 20, 2018

Super stoked to see the best of the West as well as some of the beasts in the East. Son's first year in DCI and its a remarkable season so far. He's got a free day in SA on Sunday, so hopefully we can have lunch as his mom and I haven't seen him since late May.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

They more than likely had their reasons. Very much how I am not a fan of them moving it from Cypress. Katy is a nice place... just preferred it to be closer to my apartment is all.

Right there with you on the move to Katy.  What was a 2 mile drive to the show is going to be 25-30 minutes, if I am lucky!  grrrrr

This is sort on an aside, but I noticed that this show, for at least the first time since 1988 (which was the first-ever DCI show I attended), this event is not produced by the ExSightment of Sound, which was the Westfield HS Band Boosters. 

In a similar vein, the even longer-running Dallas show, always produced by the Lake Highlands HS Band Boosters is now gone, replaced by one in Mesquite instead. 

Both of these new events have corporate sponsors. I'm just wondering if the logistics/expense of hosting a show have finally become too much for these booster organizations and DCI is increasingly hitting up the lucrative uniform/equipment/instrument supplier market for the costs instead?

Just seemed a bit interesting that both of those longtime events got redirected in the same year.

For what its worth. You are probably right about the Lake Highlands HS event. However, Parking was always a problem there and the stadium was pretty old. Mesquite stadium has lots of parking and is somewhat bigger. What i noticed right away is that the Denton show, which usually has a fantastic lineup and is a Cavaliers home show, did not attract a really big lineup. But Mesquite surely did. Interesting!

3 hours ago, gjramsey said:

Right there with you on the move to Katy.  What was a 2 mile drive to the show is going to be 25-30 minutes, if I am lucky!  grrrrr

Katy's new stadium has a lot more space with the old stadium adjacent, but agree the Berry Center is a far nicer stadium than Legacy!

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

This is sort on an aside, but I noticed that this show, for at least the first time since 1988 (which was the first-ever DCI show I attended), this event is not produced by the ExSightment of Sound, which was the Westfield HS Band Boosters. 

In a similar vein, the even longer-running Dallas show, always produced by the Lake Highlands HS Band Boosters is now gone, replaced by one in Mesquite instead. 

Both of these new events have corporate sponsors. I'm just wondering if the logistics/expense of hosting a show have finally become too much for these booster organizations and DCI is increasingly hitting up the lucrative uniform/equipment/instrument supplier market for the costs instead?

Just seemed a bit interesting that both of those longtime events got redirected in the same year.

...... Westfield............... I went to Klein Forest. Lol we don't mix too well