Houston.... I mean, Katy show- July 20, 2018

7 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

Ok, gotcha.  Well, I hope you get the chance. I wish I could see Bloo live.... you can only tell so much from Flo. But I think first, second, and third place tonight are right on. 

I'm likely going to the Annapolis, MD show but SCV won't be there :( Not many drum corps shows near Virginia unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

What really sticks out for me is seeing Devils 4th in brass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, .dave. said:

I actually was on the forum, just didn't join for a while.

No one understood what they were doing, but I did because I'm familiar with the piece. I still watch that video from time to time.

Which piece? Stravinsky, Sebesky, or Brenzel?

Like someone said before, has the 'It" factor, like previous championship shows like Bloo 16, BD 15, 94, Cavies 02, etc. It's awesome to see. 

One comment to add. I'm surprised the spread in percussion, sure it's not shocking SCV 1st in percussion, but 0.4 ahead?  Bloo, BD and Crown are clustered together. 

On another note, if SCV's guard score starts improving and score on par to the rest of SCV's caption, its over.

2 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Like someone said before, has the 'It" factor, like previous championship shows like Bloo 16, BD 15, 94, Cavies 02, etc. It's awesome to see. 

One comment to add. I'm surprised the spread in percussion, sure it's not shocking SCV 1st in percussion, but 0.4 ahead?  Bloo, BD and Crown are clustered together. 

On another note, if SCV's guard score starts improving and score on par to the rest of SCV's caption, its over.

What SHOULD be surprising, Jeffe77, is that SCV's brass is killing it this season.  SCV regularly has good percussion.  Even during their long bad streaks they've put out some competitive lines.  But their brass?  Somebody asked in another thread, "when was the last time, outside of this season, that SCV beat BD in brass?"  I was bored so I looked it up:

SCV beat BD in brass at the Stanford and Pasadena shows last year.

Prior to that, SCV's brass came out on top in Quarter Finals of 2009.

Prior to that, SCV bested BD in brass in Quarter Finals of 1999.

That's where I stopped. Needless to say, SCV's hornline this year is historically good.  THAT should be surprising.  Not the drum scores.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scvjesse said:

What SHOULD be surprising, Jeffe77, is that SCV's brass is killing it this season.  SCV regularly has good percussion.  Even during their long bad streaks they've put out some competitive lines.  But their brass?  Somebody asked in another thread, "when was the last time, outside of this season, that SCV beat BD in brass?"  I was bored so I looked it up:

SCV beat BD in brass at the Stanford and Pasadena shows last year.

Prior to that, SCV's brass came out on top in Quarter Finals of 2009.

Prior to that, SCV bested BD in brass in Quarter Finals of 1999.

That's where I stopped. Needless to say, SCV's hornline this year is historically good.  THAT should be surprising.  Not the drum scores.

What is shocking is how many age outs SCV had last year. Recruiting and instruction aren’t getting the credit they deserve. Perhaps, especially, at Vanguard Cadets, which were terrific last year and moved a lot of kids up to SCV.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

What is shocking is how many age outs SCV had last year. Recruiting and instruction aren’t getting the credit they deserve. Perhaps, especially, at Vanguard Cadets, which were terrific last year and moved a lot of kids up to SCV.

I agree with that as well.  In one of the earlier podcasts, the drum major said they were roughly 50% rookies.  50%.... rookies.... and they're this amazing?   WTF?  Granted, being a rookie doesn't necessarily mean you never marched anywhere else, but still.... that's incredible.

Edited by scvjesse