Houston.... I mean, Katy show- July 20, 2018

1 hour ago, Cadet0811 said:

Random question...who was the loudest hornline at this competition?

posted from the DrumScorps app

Cavaliers and Blue Devils.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Well...

The Cavaliers are all male...

:innocent:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadet0811 said:

Ah ... don't go there, especially for your first post.  :-)  Welcome to DCP!

For a few seasons, I actually was brave/dumb enough to take a sound level meter to ATL and Indy, and took decibel readings of all the Corps and the results were published here on DCP.  Let's just say, in typical DCP fashion, I was either a technological genius (if your Corps was measured louder than one you "hate") or an unscientific rabble-rouser and unabashed homer (if your Corps wasn't ranked among the top).

Never again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m tired of seeing BD’s hairography. 

I'm waiting for a BD show featuring the music of Mad Max and all the guard get buzz cuts. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

SCV, Crown and The Coats were possibly louder....

2 hours ago, Cadet0811 said:

I thought Crown and SCV

My 17 year old said BK.

My friend thought Devils.

We were on the 3rd row on the 45 and all were pretty awesome.

Overall thoughts on the evening.  Wish we had more of the wind that the corps were getting on the field.

Crossmen were entertaing

Cadets show was much better than I expected.  Could kinda see the z-pull, wish I was higher for it

Phantom has a speaker right in front of us, and it was crackling so much it ruined the ballad for me, but loved the show and the arrangement

BK kinda bored me, but my son loved it, and was his favorite of the first 4 shows

Cavies are off the chart fun.  Did anyone say that the wind was the reason for lack of tarps.  Loved the color gaurd "marching" over the horn line.

Bloo!  Wow, just wow.  Loved the singer.  Loved the chairs. Loved the jazz.  Are there 44 yellow chairs?  Did not remember what the closer was, but I really liked the changes they put in.

Devils.  Some really awesome music and some that leave me eh.  Color guard spins like no one else.  Really enjoyed the stories with the characters and the building of the final set.

SCV blew me (and I think everyone else) away.  The show just causes you to erupt for the seat at the end.  Soooo much better live than on Flo.  (same for all, actually).  By far the crowd favorite of the night.  Some cool effects with the stages. 

Crown is a Beast.  The pit was so much in character and were fun to watch.  Brass was pretty much what you want for Crown.  Really enjoyed the show, especially compared to last year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, TheClutch said:

Has nothing to to do with volume.

This was a joke...

It's a continuation of a fairly silly conversation on the previous show thread.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if, like the entire show, the new Bluecoats ending will get better the more you watch it. It is startling to have that break that refocuses on Olivia, and then the band comes in and blasts her “forward.” It’s a daring change, given how much push back there was with Crown last year, but that horn line with the mellos...dayum. It’s just such a big wall of sound. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I wonder if, like the entire show, the new Bluecoats ending will get better the more you watch it. It is startling to have that break that refocuses on Olivia, and then the band comes in and blasts her “forward.” It’s a daring change, given how much push back there was with Crown last year, but that horn line with the mellos...dayum. It’s just such a big wall of sound. 

I think so.  All of Ensemble yesterday was working on the new closer.  Not really a re-write, this was where they intended to go all season.  A lot of pieces and parts to get correct in this ending.  Especially a lot of new stuff for the guard to master.  They will get there.  I always watch Olivia.  She now carries her own chair to the backfield and to the center stage.  No more hesitancy.  Her character is now in charge. 

• Like 2