Houston.... I mean, Katy show- July 20, 2018

8 hours ago, bluesman said:

What really sticks out for me is seeing Devils 4th in brass.

Take away the soloist and there isn’t much left on the bar. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

I'm surprised the spread in percussion, sure it's not shocking SCV 1st in percussion, but 0.4 ahead?  Bloo, BD and Crown are clustered together. 

Make room for Boston because here they come. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Make room for Boston because here they come. 

Ironically, because of Boston, percussion likely won’t be a decisive factor in the order of medaling.

• Like 1

My apologies for not mentioning crown last night. I immediately got in my car and drove to SA. 

Crown had a lot of energy and that horn line was great!!! :) they really enjoyed themselves!

First of all, thank you for following my posts and it was an overall fun show! I would also like to apologize about the bluecoats comment. After sleeping on it, I feel like it was unwarranted. I hope they rock it tonight!

My initial thoughts of that stadium. I think I held it to an extremely high standard, but I am not a big fan of this stadium.... specifically the parking. People had trouble getting into the place which caused a lot of people to miss Crossmen. Let's hope it gets back to the berry center soon!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Ironically, because of Boston, percussion likely won’t be a decisive factor in the order of medaling.

I wouldn’t suggest you write Boston off. Believe their show could jump up a corps or two. But that’s just me. Not a fan of Crown this season as in past seasons. 

35 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I wonder if, like the entire show, the new Bluecoats ending will get better the more you watch it. It is startling to have that break that refocuses on Olivia, and then the band comes in and blasts her “forward.” It’s a daring change, given how much push back there was with Crown last year, but that horn line with the mellos...dayum. It’s just such a big wall of sound. 

Can confirm.  Is loud.  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bluesman said:

What really sticks out for me is seeing Devils 4th in brass.

Ehhh.

The margin is really tight.

They could be in 6th, and if the margin is within .2 then the placement only suggests that a bunch of others are 'as good'.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scvjesse said:

What SHOULD be surprising, Jeffe77, is that SCV's brass is killing it this season.  SCV regularly has good percussion.  Even during their long bad streaks they've put out some competitive lines.  But their brass?  Somebody asked in another thread, "when was the last time, outside of this season, that SCV beat BD in brass?"  I was bored so I looked it up:

SCV beat BD in brass at the Stanford and Pasadena shows last year.

Prior to that, SCV's brass came out on top in Quarter Finals of 2009.

Prior to that, SCV bested BD in brass in Quarter Finals of 1999.

That's where I stopped. Needless to say, SCV's hornline this year is historically good.  THAT should be surprising.  Not the drum scores.

"Somebody" here (thanks for the quote!). I don't think SCV's hornline success is that surprising, although it is very impressive.  It was pretty clear ever since Chip Crotts came onboard in 2016 that they were headed in the right direction. It has sure been fun to watch the progression, hasn't it?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

This was a joke...

It's a continuation of a fairly silly conversation on the previous show thread.

Ah, ok.  I've just seen the comment so many times. Thanks for clarifying :dancin: