Notable moments in shows where the MMs wrote or came up with the idea, and staff ok’d?

2 hours ago, drummer5485 said:

All the machine sounds (zzzz, whirr) in the 2006 Cavaliers show were put in because me and another pit member were acting out the robot fight scene from Eurotrip during a water break one day in Pretour.  We figured out you can take the siren out of the bell and were using those.  Also the trumpet player doing the robot was put in when someone saw Matt dancing during a break.

Awesome! I was reading your post just now on my smartphone while I had a video clip playing on my monitor of guitar virtuoso Buckethead taken during one.of his shows...if you aren’t familiar, one of his ”schticks” is to play and do a “robot dance” at the same time. Anyway, I was reading your post about the trumpet player robot when I glanced up at my monitor...and there’s Buckethead doing the robot. 

I’ll be looking forward to the Boston show even more now!

Good stuff, keep it coming!

Edited by TRacer

Correct me if I'm wrong but in BD 2014, at the beginning of "Fellini's Circus" around the middle point of the show there was a MM that choreographed this elaborate dance that went outside of the curved drill during free-form and the staff thought it added and let him do it during the show. 

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I did not state when, nor what, nor who it will reportedly come from... only that the idea came from a recent age out in the Corps from 2017. It was in the plans and ok'ed by design staff going back to the winter as a matter of fact. Thats enough info to share, as it adequately responds to the OP's question, and without compromising info provided to me in confidence, and which is not for public consumption at this time. It will be made visible on the field of competition this summer in due time, and afterwards perhaps we can give credit for it to that recent age out at that time..

"Sir, yes sir!"

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I got to believe " the winks " we are witnessing in shows with soloists now, did not all originate with the design staffs of all these Corps... lol!

You beat me to it.  The now famous BC/Downside Up wink.  Now a classic drum corps moment.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

The Bridgemen falling down at the end of the show in 1976 was dreamt up by members during practice as a gag for the staff. At least that what I always heard. 

84 BD...the "One More Time, Chuck Corea" sop quote at the end of "Latin Implosion" came about because Steve "Stymie" Leanene played it in the arc one day and Wayne said to keep it.

It wasn't until the Rose Bowl show last week -- the first time I'd seen Stymie in 34 years -- that he told me WHY he played it that day.

He was supposed to play it at the end of OMT in 82, but split his lip and it got pulled to someone else....he wanted it back!

• Like 1

In the latest Inside BD360 that came out today, one of the drummers talks about how he and two of the other guys came up with adding the Moonwalk visual right after the MJ Smooth Criminal section. That's undoubtedly going to be copied by high school drumlines everywhere.