Are Corps looking more & more like the Mummers?

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Does anyone else notice that, instrumentation-wise, Mummers are almost the exact opposite of Drum Corps? (Marching strings and saxes)

You can't get more obnoxious than banjos and saxes....well maybe bagpipes and accordions. 

:ohmy:

• Haha 4

Maybe just the bagpipes the Mummers do march accordions.

5 hours ago, Bluzes said:

The Mummers are the costume kings of visual design. My favorite winter event. I am not trying to take away from either activity but I think they have been drawing closer together in recent years in show design and attire. Who is coping who?

no. first of all no saxophones, and second of all, no corps play that #### Iggles fight song.

However, the Mummers over the last few years have adopted from corps...floors, props and more of a far larger scale then ever before. 

Agreed I think they been learning for each other and is not a bad thing at all. You got to love the Mummers imagination and the precision of Drum Corps. I just think DCI can lighten up a bit.

It was discouraging that Michael Cesario said a few years ago that DCI Fans are to sophisticated for Corps like Velvet Knights and Bridgemen, sounds like fake news to me. That was the year of Drum Corps Bride did Michael's comment pull back on future shows like that, seems to have. 

2 hours ago, c mor said:

You can't get more obnoxious than banjos and saxes....well maybe bagpipes and accordions. 

:ohmy:

But I LOVE bagpipes!

In my first Navy band, the keyboard player played accordion as his main instrument. Overseas, we played at an "all hands" club (both officers and enlisted).  Of course we had to do a Polka Night.  He had them all memorized.  I sat in on drums -- boom chick boom chick -- all night long.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

But I LOVE bagpipes!

In my first Navy band, the keyboard player played accordion as his main instrument. Overseas, we played at an "all hands" club (both officers and enlisted).  Of course we had to do a Polka Night.  He had them all memorized.  I sat in on drums -- boom chick boom chick -- all night long.

Yeah, actually I can play a little bit of 5 string banjo, and I did always want to learn bagpipes....

I've heard all the drummer jokes, and all the banjo jokes.   How do you tune a banjo?   Wire cutters.

• Haha 2

Just now, c mor said:

Yeah, actually I can play a little bit of 5 string banjo, and I did always want to learn bagpipes....

I've heard all the drummer jokes, and all the banjo jokes.   How do you tune a banjo?   Wire cutters.

I bought a banjo at my first duty station (imported from EAST??? Germany).  I'd go do my laundry and work my way thru the Earl Scruggs book. BIG MISTAKE!  Next duty station, a pickup country band found out I was a picker. I played banjo and drum set on several tours. Glad to get back to rock guitar for my 3rd duty station. 

I don't know about mummer banjos, but there is a lot of fascinating information about bluegrass banjos - different woods, components etc.  Some are expensive works of art.

4 minutes ago, c mor said:

I don't know about mummer banjos, but there is a lot of fascinating information about bluegrass banjos - different woods, components etc.  Some are expensive works of art.

I'm pretty sure the Mummers' banjo style is like tenor banjo -- strum not picking. Popular in the 20s I think.