Minneapolis, MN - July 7, 2018

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The panel last night was full of unknown faces who are almost certainly not going to be appearing during championship week. 

Jeff Ausdemore (percussion) and Tim Ochran (VA)  have both been regular Finals week judges. The others ranked their captions pretty much the same as the other judges who are on the panels this year, so there's no reason to suspect last nights positions would have changed with a different panel. 

6 minutes ago, BlueStarsDad said:

I'm going to rant for a minute ... I love the Minneapolis show.  Its a great venue and the weather is nice.  But the crowd (at least around me in the club seats) was the worst behaved crowd I have encountered in a long time.  People came in and out during the shows, a lady behind me answered her cell phone and carried on a conversation, and I now know (a) the best Italian restaurants in Minneapolis, (b) that its not a corps unless they use G bugles and (c) cool people call them "Concord" instead of the Blue Devils thanks to the ongoing LOUD conversation behind me.  There were several Madison alum around me and I thought they were going to take matters into their own hands (they were as irritated as me).  Rant done.  Loved seeing the Blue Devils for the first time ... they blew me away.

Fun times.  I’ve been to shows like that.  I’m very quiet at shows but I always get this know-it-all sitting behind me.  Always a man of a certain age, who knows everything and everyone in Drum Corps.  Goes on and on for hours.  I’ve been in or have supported the activity in various ways for 50 years this summer.  I do not know everything or everyone in this activity.  And I don’t want to. 

God, please spare me this person for just four more shows.  Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, dureau said:

Looking at the percussion scores in this show reeks of bad judging. Dropping both BD and Cavaliers scores dramatically was an insane call and looks prejudicial. There is no way BD dropped .9 in percussion and the Cavies percussion score drop of more than 1 point looks suspiciously like one judge taking it on himself to align the corps positions coming out of this weekend. It’s a prime example of why the fans are always suspicious of DCI judging criteria.

Wow, ok.

First of all, what gives you the right to criticize the judges, or determine 'good judging' from 'bad judging'?

Judging is not a simple process, because much of the drum corps activity is subjective. Sure, there's some things you can measure objectively, like cleanliness and execution. But GE? Analysis of the book? There's a lot of grey area. Even seemingly objective subcaptions are often influenced by subjective opinions about what surrounds it, and how it fits into context. That's avoided as much as possible, but it can never be eliminated.

I don't mean to start some full-blown argument here. Really. Looks like we're both pretty new in terms of posting. But, I can't tolerate such harsh disrespect of the people who do so much for our activity.

Of course there's some bias involved, and judges have to work really hard to ignore it. But guess what? You're not a judge. You're a Cavies fan. I'm not a judge either, and I'm going to step back and let them do their job.

As I understand, you absolutely cannot confidently come to any conclusions by comparing scores from one competition to another. It's far more accurate to look at the point margins between two corps.

So, for example, Phantom was also at both Rockford and Minneapolis. You'll see that their percussion score went down more than a point too. Fair's fair. Nobody's being targeted, this comp's percussion was just scored lower overall.

Please, in the future, think about what the judges do for the activity before you make wild, harsh accusations.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BlueStarsDad said:

But the crowd (at least around me in the club seats) was the worst behaved crowd I have encountered in a long time.  People came in and out during the shows, a lady behind me answered her cell phone and carried on a conversation 

May that experience remind you to speak up if it happens again. At the Thursday prelims theatre broadcast, when entering 15 minutes before the show went live, seeing a lot of youngsters, I stopped and gave a "may I have your attention for a few moments" speech.  A great viewing was had by all.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

May that experience remind you to speak up if it happens again. At the Thursday prelims theatre broadcast, when entering 15 minutes before the show went live, seeing a lot of youngsters, I stopped and gave a "may I have your attention for a few moments" speech.  A great viewing was had by all.

I just put up with stuff for whatever reason.  I mean, had a woman practically laying in my lap for an entire show in Mason and I said nothing.  Then her kid started laying on me, too.  I sat there stoically..this too shall pass. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Fun times.  I’ve been to shows like that.  I’m very quiet at shows but I always get this know-it-all sitting behind me.  Always a man of a certain age, who knows everything and everyone in Drum Corps.  Goes on and on for hours.  I’ve been in or have supported the activity in various ways for 50 years this summer.  I do not know everything or everyone in this activity.  And I don’t want to. 

God, please spare me this person for just four more shows.  Thank you. 

Had a guy like that who was sitting in front us last week in Riverside. If you ask him he invented DCI and didn't invite BD to be apart of it. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dureau said:

Looking at the percussion scores in this show reeks of bad judging. Dropping both BD and Cavaliers scores dramatically was an insane call and looks prejudicial. There is no way BD dropped .9 in percussion and the Cavies percussion score drop of more than 1 point looks suspiciously like one judge taking it on himself to align the corps positions coming out of this weekend. It’s a prime example of why the fans are always suspicious of DCI judging criteria.

The scores don't really matter, it's the spreads. Judges compare the corps performing to the corps before them, and so on and so forth. When BD is last, the judge doesn't think, "Oh no. I gave Cavies a 15.0 and think BD is only 0.1 better, but BD got a 16.0 in percussion at the last show, so I better give them a 16.4." It doesn't work like that. Spreads are what matter, not actual scores.

41 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Watching the shows again this morning, the takeaway for me is that Cavaliers, once the back half of the show is cleaned and complete, will very possibly be competing in the top 3. I can't say the same for BD. 

I can definitely see Cavies as a possibility for top 3. With BD, they have proved what a fool I am too many times when I thought they were going to finish outside of the top 2. Someday that will happen, but I don't see it happening this year.

45 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Not poor judging. They scored them all the same. If you dont think they are box 4 they aren't box 4. 

Could you please remind everyone what box 4/ box 5 means? I always tend to forget the qualifications.Thanks.