Is there a double standard in acceptable show design past to present?

A few corrections for the original post:

1. There was no cutting off of the head in Wicked Games as the original post indicated

2.  My assumption was always that they had a woman throw the guard member into the fire, because that was interpreted better than a man throwing her in.  IMO

3. DCI did not have a license to show Chris's song in the video.  It was about $$$, not redaction due to offensiveness. 

I don't see how artistically portraying a historical theme is exploiting women (a theme that is not viewed in any way like the civil war).  Wicked games was an extremely tasteful and climatic show last year that was widely considered a fan favorite and many of the marchers loved doing it.  

Edited by Den8uml

Sorry for using the term Snow****. I am frequently called a head case but it does not bother me so maybe Snow**** is just another term for me things seem to go full circle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I hate the world just as much as you do. I’m simply using the terminology that the original poster, Mr. Bluzes, used. If it’s an issue, take it up with him

Usually, those who revel in the name calling society we have allowed to become the new norm " snowflake " is usually the person doing all the whiny name calling. Think about it.:lle:

With that said, it was more traditional than most would remember I think with moments of comedy but they were highly skilled marchers and players. Did everyone like it bitd? no, especially hardcore traditionalists could the talent be denied? No. IMO, it also opened the door to exploring other ways of approaching a show. There were other corps in the past who explored like Cadets No More War show, ( during a war ) Cavies, CIrcus show and others, What made this over the top at the time were ditching traditional uniforms for those 2 corps.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Sorry for using the term Snow****. I am frequently called a head case but it does not bother me so maybe Snow**** is just another term for me things seem to go full circle.

:smile:It's probably not your fault at all BUT the new norm lately ( name calling ) apology should be accepted I think..It's more than you hear from the name calling so-called adults on TV

16 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

A few corrections for the original post:

1. There was no cutting off of the head in Wicked Games as the original post indicated

2.  My assumption was always that they had a woman throw the guard member into the fire, because that was interpreted better than a man throwing her in.  IMO

3. DCI did not have a license to show Chris's song in the video.  It was about $$$, not redaction due to offensiveness. 

I don't see how artistically portraying a historical theme is exploiting women (a theme that is not viewed in any way like the civil war).  Wicked games was an extremely tasteful and climatic show last year that was widely considered a fan favorite and many of the marchers loved doing it.  

When she was bending over singing in guillotine it implied head chopping. I also question why the staff put her is such a uncomfortable posture position limiting her wonderful voice and projection there of. I will let you decide what is important and what is not important with the atrocities of the past.

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

When she was bending over singing in guillotine it implied head chopping. I also question why the staff put her is such a uncomfortable posture position limiting her wonderful voice and projection there of. I will let you decide what is important and what is not important with the atrocities of the past.

I thought those were stocks, not a guillotine.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Exactly. Thanks

Edited by Den8uml

Just now, Den8uml said:

Exactly. Thanks

Now, if we can do the French Revolution.... No, let's not go there.

• Haha 1

I think another elephant in the room is shows based on mental health issues. I don’t mind Cavies so much because it’s kind of based upon Ravel’s last work which was a result of his neurological disorder. There have been shows in the past who took the “look at us, we’re crazy” route. 

12 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Could be stocks what were they used for? Anyway the point is although I enjoyed the show it did seem to exploit a time in history that is better left alone no matter what gender threw her into the fire and going there Boston was aware of what it was doing making it all good because which gender did the dirty deed, insane and not unlike what the Bridgemen did with the Civil War. I enjoyed both shows but there are definitely  parallels bordering on acceptance and taste.