Is there a double standard in acceptable show design past to present?

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

This thread does not sound like a commentary on the state of drum corps today as much as trying to bring the tensions that divide our nation into drum corps. 

Thanks you give me more credit than I deserve thinking I could be that clever. However there is another thread 100's of pages long that I avoided with a passion that discusses tensions in Drum Corps today, This thread discusses things that happen on the field and the discussion seems to be productive. I accept the cabbage thrown at me for the Sown**** comment but really thought I get pummeled, I miss it since my wife is out of town. (met in drum corps been married 45 years).

Just now, dbc03 said:

I enjoyed Boston's show last year but I was a bit uncomfortable with cheering on the burning a woman alive part

Again, how did you feel about the 2008 PR production?

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Again, how did you feel about the 2008 PR production?

As a show I thought it was overrated and didn't particularly care for it. I don't remember being particularly bothered by the violence, but I haven't watched it in 10 years and there are a lot of things I might have been ok with 10 years ago that I would be uncomfortable with now.

That being said I have less problems with depictions of war/fighting than I do with burning innocent people alive at the climax of the show.

Edit: I also would have been less uncomfortable with Boston's show had the emotional impact been different. If the burning scene had been at a point that was obviously supposed to be tragic and sad it would have been very different than having it happen at the emotional high point of the show where everyone is supposed to stand and cheer.

Edited by dbc03
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

This thread does not sound like a commentary on the state of drum corps today as much as trying to bring the tensions that divide our nation into drum corps.

First, the Bridgemen did not attempt to have “fun” with the Civil War. Yes Bridgemen performed enjoyable shows, but they were tough, fierce competitors. They aimed for shows that had impact as GE was becoming more important. The Civil War medley showed off their horn line more than anything else and employed a great deal of passion to show off the power of their brass. Given that the show ended with everyone coming together under an American flag with the peace symbol, I’d be willing to bet the show designers did not think the Civil War was a laughing matter. Sure it was funny at the time to have the South win at a finals held in Birmingham, but the tensions today are different. 

Regarding Velvet Knights, did I object in the 80’s? Probably not. Other corps were more on my radar screen. I remember them, and I know I saw them live on occasion, but they were not a corps I was devoted to following. At 55, I could still be the age of some parents of kids marching today, but edging closer to the grandfather category. I know when I watch the Velvet Knight cymbals, I think “I’d never let my daughter wear that.” Double standard, maybe, seeing things differently over time, definitely. However, given how many people were uncomfortable with Phantom’s show last year, and the revelations that a former director was preying on young women the age of those cymbal players at the appropriate time they were marching, a certain creep factor does set in, at least for me.

Clearly the OP's is at odds with many things -  logic, grammar, facts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

That being said I have less problems with depictions of war/fighting than I do with burning innocent people alive at the climax of the show. 

So two stabbings, one throat being sliced open, and one mm bludgeoned is OK?  You must have fainted when the recording of a rifle shot being used in CC show.  That hole seems to be getting bigger to me.

21 minutes ago, Semper Moe said:

Clearly the OP's is at odds with many things -  logic, grammar, facts.

No the OP is not but been waiting for a personal attack. Facts maybe (from memory) but the rest see my quote so now we know who the bully is you lifted your veil. Maybe you need to go to GLP they are real good at beating up the OP there!