Is there a double standard in acceptable show design past to present?

They thinks it's trendy to hate sad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

You must remember that if you don't agree with them, there is something wrong with you. It's somewhere on page 1005 of the DCP user handbook.

well you like Ohio State.....

LOL

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Carolina Thunder I think was their name. or the Onyx show the other year that stirred up controversy

the show I was thinking was Dantes Inferno 1997 Northmont HS...they literally hung a girl from a high prop....the crowd went wild for sure. Their Viet Nam show I think the year before was a great war show too

Edited by GUARDLING

I'm not exactly sure what the OP meant by double standard. I'm not sure if I want to turn this thread into a political discussion lol

I don't think I've ever really seen a show that I found distasteful. 

Sure there have been politically/socially themed shows. Cavaliers 2016 Propaganda, 2013 Secret Society, even 1992, the Animal Farm show by the Crusaders, and especially Cavaliers 2010 Mad World, about PTSD. Incredible shows all of them. The Propaganda show could have easily turned into a political statement but they managed to avoid that and instead put out a great show that just about anyone could enjoy just for the sake of putting out a high quality show.

Now that I think of it, I have come to trust drum corps staffs to produce tasteful shows designed to entertain and not to make a political or social point. The ONLY exception would be The Cadets Oprah show. And even that was still a decent show. 

They all seem to be toeing that line and then pulling back. There's no need for drum corps to be dividing the fan base like the media does with their politically biased "news" stories.

I haven't felt like this trust I have has been breached this season either. As far as that goes.

However, in terms for costuming and prop use, that's a different story :ninja:

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well you like Ohio State.....

LOL

I love THE Ohio State

9 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I'm not exactly sure what the OP meant by double standard. I'm not sure if I want to turn this thread into a political discussion lol

As the OP it's not political really asking why VK & Bridgemen type entrainment is frowned upon. Thought maybe Jersey Surf was filling that gap several years ago and the Drum Corps Bride show reminded me of that type of show.  

35 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I love THE Ohio State

I know, but we still like you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh lord who lit the fuse?  

I'm your huckleberry

• Haha 2

Double Standard implies a binary interpretation. Some elements are very different and some are the same. Loved shows from those that you mention ... VK, Bridgemen, etc. I miss that those corps aren't here. But I think the reasons you don't see them anymore are layered, varied, and have little to do with clothing choice. And using one poorly designed 2018 show as some kind of exception doesn't really prove much of anything.

Edited by mingusmonk