Sioux City, IA - July 10, 2018

22 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

We get it... you're associated with the Blue Stars and obviously not happy with the results. Your corps has had partial panels multiple times this year, so not sure what the issue is, but it's one show, there are many more to come, so just let it go. 

Because I have the right to defend something and every other user on these forums does it when this happens so why is it a problem when I do it?  Because people are saying it wasn't even close of a score when it realistically was?  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

If it was ‘78, I was in the show. 

That is so cool! I wish I could remember for sure. Good chance it was '78. I remember someone playing Copeland and I remember a guard with long skirts but I don't know which year those memories are from or if was my first show or subsequent years. The biggest memory is of 'feeling' the glorious sound from all the corps and I fell in love.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Because I have the right to defend something and every other user on these forums does it when this happens so why is it a problem when I do it?  Because people are saying it wasn't even close of a score when it realistically was?  

You completely miss the spirit of this activity and what it represents. Of course you can defend your corps, but you don't have to be so bitter about it. I don't know what your background is, but I've seen both shows on Flo multiple times and seeing Mandarins beat BS is not shocking to me or many others in the activity. It also wouldn't shock me if BS comes back and beats the Mandarins the next time because overall, they are close. But sorry to break it to you, but the Mandarins will probably beat BS again at some point, and if they do, show some sportsmanship and respect, and support this activity and be excited for all the kids who work their ##### off to entertain us.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Re: Stars/Mandarins scores

First - full disclosure: I am a huge Mandarins fan with a son currently marching with them and another previously marched with them.  Tonight was a great result for the Mandarins. A 4.3 point improvement is enormous at this stage, and beating the Stars head-to-head is also huge. 

On one hand, you can't draw too much of a conclusion from this result (or any single result), especially with the potential flaws in scoring due to a partial judging panel. It definitely proves Mandarins are more than just on the map this year, but it doesn't show that Mandarins are clearly ahead of the Stars. 

On the other hand, I'd take the head-to-head competition as a better proxy than the previous non head-to-head scores from different competitions with different judging panels. In addition, having seen both shows (albeit only Stars via Flo), I believe the Mandarins show has more upside out of the two.  (But remember, I'm biased) Will they capitalize on that? Only time will tell.

The good news is from here on through San Antonio they square off in 5 shows. How they compare head-to-head will definitely become apparent by the time San Antonio show is done and dusted.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

You completely miss the spirit of this activity and what it represents. Of course you can defend your corps, but you don't have to be so bitter about it. I don't know what your background is, but I've seen both shows on Flo multiple times and seeing Mandarins beat BS is not shocking to me or many others in the activity. It also wouldn't shock me if BS comes back and beats the Mandarins the next time because overall, they are close. But sorry to break it to you, but the Mandarins will probably beat BS again at some point, and if they do, show some sportsmanship and respect, and support this activity and be excited for all the kids who work their ##### off to entertain us.

I have no doubt this guy had even thought the Stars would lose to that little other CA Corp. When I saw them earlier in CA all I could think was they are very good and can beat big name corps and that will ruffle some feathers because they are now in the mix not just to make top twelve but in the mid pack. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

The Mar family is probably loving this. :biggrin:

Last year they were the biggest surprise of the season for me because nobody expected they would be at another level. The talk going into this season was can they maintain it from last year. Not only did they do that they took it to another level. Come finals week they I predict they will break 90. 

Edited by afd
  • Like 1

Perhaps Sioux City Sue was a judge.

I drove my little drum corps out
From Sacramento way
That's how I come to be in the state of I-o-way
I played real well and asked the judge
She said "Indeed I do"
I asked her what her name was and she said "Sioux City Sue"

Sioux City Sue, Sioux City Sue
You helped me beat the stars of blue
I'd swap my scores and play for you, oh
Sioux City Sue, Sioux City Sue
There ain't no judge as true as my sweet Sioux City Sue

Edited by skevinp
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Well #### I thought the activity was supposed to be competitive. Forget scores we are only do bronze silver and gold ratings where everyone's a winner :laughing:   were you someone that complained when Lebron didnt shake hands in the finals?