Etiquette

In viewing a show in WA recently I missed a reasonable part of a performance because a group from California was so unaware as to not only warm up too close to the stadium but also didn't think to point in the opposite direction.  What I have heard is this group is also warming their CG up with obnoxious music tragically close to entrance gates and their staff monkeys don't have any respect for corps on their way to the gate while unloading props at the gate after the show start- which is not supposed to happen after start time.  # if you want to win and be respected- do it right.  Otherwise you breed a village of soulless idiots that continue to proliferate the notion that millenials suck.

Members are members- soulless idiots is a little harsh I suppose-  they go where they are told and follow the example of their leaders- the problem occurs when good teachers make poor choices like this but still manage to turn students into instructors who then use the same bravado and proliferate the issue.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iheartponies said:

In viewing a show in WA recently I missed a reasonable part of a performance because a group from California was so unaware as to not only warm up too close to the stadium but also didn't think to point in the opposite direction.  What I have heard is this group is also warming their CG up with obnoxious music tragically close to entrance gates and their staff monkeys don't have any respect for corps on their way to the gate while unloading props at the gate after the show start- which is not supposed to happen after start time.  # if you want to win and be respected- do it right.  Otherwise you breed a village of soulless idiots that continue to proliferate the notion that millenials suck.

Corps have been penalized for playing outside  and too close to stadiums during shows in progress. For one example, the Blue Devils were penalized 5 tenths at Quarterfinals at Championships outside Lucas Stadium, Indy  in 2015.  ( didn't eventually hurt them, as they moved up from 4th to win it all, 2 nights later)

• Like 3

No penalties have occurred or any ownership by the corps' administration for this group.  This is all on the staff and administration and complete lack of awareness and disrespect for the activity.

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Corps have been penalized for playing outside  and too close to stadiums during shows in progress. For one example, the Blue Devils were penalized 5 tenths at Quarterfinals at Championships outside Lucas Stadium, Indy  in 2015.  ( didn't eventually hurt them, as they moved up from 4th to win it all, 2 nights later)

I remember in 2003,  the brown shirts at Lackawanna stadium in Scranton pushed us (Royal-Airs alumni) so far from the field. I think we were in upstate New York. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, iheartponies said:

No penalties have occurred or any ownership by the corps' administration for this group.  This is all on the staff and administration and complete lack of awareness and disrespect for the activity.

This could be an unintentional issue. There's no reason to believe that a group would just willingly be spiteful or hateful to other groups like that. Lack of awareness? Perhaps. However, I don't think that one show like this is gonna raise a bunch of corrupt music educators. The leadership of all groups seem to have respect for the activity, otherwise they wouldn't be in it at all.

This group should be way above this even though they are trying to win- and yes students do inherit the behaviors of their instructors- while most admin tame the bravado, the fallout of some instructors that have been in the business too long trickles down and creates jerks with no awareness.