Etiquette

10 minutes ago, Lance said:

Usually, good role models don't need to proclaim themselves good role models. 

I'm pretty sure SCV's kids aren't being corrupted by this. 

No need to look in here again. 

This

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lance said:

Usually, good role models don't need to proclaim themselves good role models. 

I'm pretty sure SCV's kids aren't being corrupted by this. 

No need to look in here again. 

Didn't call myself a role model- just a teacher with great people everywhere.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

... and if it was a designated warmup area, they did nothing wrong

I was wondering about this. Don't most/all shows have designated warmup areas?  (If not, why not???) If warmups are too close to the show, that's on the show staff, not the Corps. 

• Like 2

The show sponsors aren't responsible for providing warm up areas.  Corps are fully aware of the noise rule.  It's on the corps to be aware and respect other corps especially during their performances.  

That being said there is an astounding lack of respect coupled with entitlement that seems to permeate society these days.  Millennial shave got the market cornered! Case in point; I volunteered at a show recently and was assigned corps vehicle parking assistance.  Basically get the trucks and busses parked.  2 corps arriving early set up their FE's in the lot, taking up a lot of space and making it impossible for other corps trucks and busses to park.  One FE instructor, when nicely asked (several times) to please move elsewhere replied "I'm rehearsing".  And stayed put.  Eventually a corps with several semis arrived and took over 45 minutes to park, trying not to hit the obstructionist FE.  When the instructor finally began to move he made sure to call another volunteer rude.

Point is, some people feel entitled and rules don't apply to them.  This shows up as a lack of awareness and respect.  It can be an individual and can extend to groups.  But don't believe for a minute think that kind of behavior is not noticed by MM's and repeated.  How else would the FE instructor behave as he did?  He learned it, he felt entitled and he was lazy.

Make the DCI show coordinator aware.  But likely little will be done unless a competing corps raises the issue.  Also don't help them by complaint about them as an anonymous group.  Come right out and name them.  If no one knows who is the offender, bad behavior will continue.

• Like 1

Not usually, outside of a few sites (finals obviously), and there has been some bad behavior in recent years.

<comment deleted>

Edited by jonnyboy
I don't need to get involved.

Contacted SCV through Facebook/Messaging - got this reply FWIW:

"Thanks Kyle, we make sure to abide by the DCI approved warm up zones and always take caution to make sure we are facing away from the stadium to avoid interrupting another corps performance. Our apologies if you could hear us during warm up!"

Also FWIW, I have attended many SCV rehearsals since 1999, and have always found them to be very considerate of others - I very much doubt that they would ever stoop to deliberately being disruptive of another corps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have always thought of SCV as a class act.  I have a lot of respect for this organization.

What show was this?