Etiquette

18 minutes ago, FeathersUp said:

What show was this?

This was at the Pasco, WA show.  Accuracy watch: SCV's hornline was facing away from the stadium, but they were pointed at a building which reflected sound back toward the stadium. SCV's guard was nowhere near the entrance gate - I think that was Pacific Crest.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iheartponies said:

No penalties have occurred or any ownership by the corps' administration for this group.  This is all on the staff and administration and complete lack of awareness and disrespect for the activity.

did you speak to the show sponsor or any DCI officials about this at the time? 

12 hours ago, iheartponies said:

This group should be way above this even though they are trying to win- and yes students do inherit the behaviors of their instructors- while most admin tame the bravado, the fallout of some instructors that have been in the business too long trickles down and creates jerks with no awareness.

you're throwing some serious over reactionary generalizations out there. I'll just leave those alone, they speak volumes on their own.

Have you ever run a show? Dealt with the logistics outside of the stadium? For all we know there could be a plethora of issues that caused it. complaints from those around the stadium drove the corps closer? lack of room due to the facility full of cars, buses and trucks? Sound ordinances beyond a certain point? Coming on here and #####ing about it does nothing, and actually contacting those in charge could get you explanations that enlighten you and possibly remove some of your obvious anger issues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iheartponies said:

Professionals were trying to be civil with other corps by speaking directly to the staff.  There really are not designated warmup spots at most shows.  And frankly if anyone's judges tape contains your warmup you should be penalized   And PS I've taught enough great teachers and role models to not really need to validate myself.  The next time a corps points their warmup at the stadium, they should be asked not to perform- then, their fan base might ask their staff to behave appropriately.

incorrect. many show sites have designated warm up area. In fact Crossmen got hit and almost missed finals for warming up outside of the appropriate places.

6 hours ago, iheartponies said:

Didn't call myself a role model- just a teacher with great people everywhere.

you forgot humble too

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

The show sponsors aren't responsible for providing warm up areas.  Corps are fully aware of the noise rule.  It's on the corps to be aware and respect other corps especially during their performances.  

That being said there is an astounding lack of respect coupled with entitlement that seems to permeate society these days.  Millennial shave got the market cornered! Case in point; I volunteered at a show recently and was assigned corps vehicle parking assistance.  Basically get the trucks and busses parked.  2 corps arriving early set up their FE's in the lot, taking up a lot of space and making it impossible for other corps trucks and busses to park.  One FE instructor, when nicely asked (several times) to please move elsewhere replied "I'm rehearsing".  And stayed put.  Eventually a corps with several semis arrived and took over 45 minutes to park, trying not to hit the obstructionist FE.  When the instructor finally began to move he made sure to call another volunteer rude.

Point is, some people feel entitled and rules don't apply to them.  This shows up as a lack of awareness and respect.  It can be an individual and can extend to groups.  But don't believe for a minute think that kind of behavior is not noticed by MM's and repeated.  How else would the FE instructor behave as he did?  He learned it, he felt entitled and he was lazy.

Make the DCI show coordinator aware.  But likely little will be done unless a competing corps raises the issue.  Also don't help them by complaint about them as an anonymous group.  Come right out and name them.  If no one knows who is the offender, bad behavior will continue.

if a corps refuses to comply, it is incumbent upon the host to get DCI officials or whatever circuit is running the show involved.

And no disrespect, I know bashing todays kids is all the rage...the same #### happened 30 years ago. it's what happens when people focused on a single goal don't pay attention to the world around them. 

• Like 1

I've worked at several shows and they have always had designated parking and warm up areas. That would solve the problem.