It's time for original music

This is about mechanical rights and nothing more.

Additionally, it's PROBABLY not that they aren't being paid due to cost (they would be paid by Flo or their contractor)... They merely aren't sought PROBABLY due to apathy and therefore aren't secured for video reproduction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

This is about mechanical rights and nothing more.

Additionally, it's PROBABLY not that they aren't being paid due to cost (they would be paid by Flo or their contractor)... They merely aren't sought PROBABLY due to apathy and therefore aren't secured for video reproduction.

More often synchronization rights than mechanical rights, it seems.

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

With the exception of Florida Suite, I agree. 

That's the best piece, but I personally also find Spin Cycle quite enjoyable. Plus some shorter original pieces corps have used in their shows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

There's lots of good music that is old enough to be in the public domain and has never been played by drum corps.

(Also copyright laws are, on the whole, very bad and should mostly be scrapped.)

Public domain also means different things in different places - for instance I think in the US it's something like anything before 1925 is fair game. Whereas here in the UK its something like 75 years after the death of the composer - which as an example is why we didn't get the 2013 DVDs as Rite of Spring is not public domain here til something like 2030

51 minutes ago, Moz said:

Public domain also means different things in different places - for instance I think in the US it's something like anything before 1925 is fair game. Whereas here in the UK its something like 75 years after the death of the composer - which as an example is why we didn't get the 2013 DVDs as Rite of Spring is not public domain here til something like 2030

This year the state champion HS marching band in NJ built their show around Per Gynt (Hall of the Mountain King), Beethoven's 5th and Beethoven's 9th.  They can plaster their show everywhere and not have to worry.  Take classics and sprinkle in some original stuff (enough to be interesting, not so much to be exceedingly hard to compose) and presto!  No rights issues.  Maybe that will bring the cost of the rights on regular stuff down a bit.

Please!   No more original compositions. I think that stuff removes the audience connection further away. For the most part, the original work I've heard over the past years was mostly chop and bop with no real melody. Look what happens now when some arrangers take a well known piece and try to improve it.

• Like 1

I’d love original pieces. I’m not some huge classical music buff, I don’t know most of the pieces the corps are playing anyways. 

BD has done some original work in a few of their shows the past few years and I really haven’t been disappointed with any of it 

Drum corps arranging today is so much more about creating mood than arranging existing music that the line between "original music" and "arranged music" is pretty blurred. Not from a legal perspective but from a listener's perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1