Reality is a cruel mistress

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... several years back, some young members with the Sunrisers asked a couple of us Stone Age vets to share some of the old stories.

We 1) didn't share many of those stories...LOL... some things are simply best left unsaid. :innocent: And 2) we gave the new crew the PG-13 version of the stories we did share!!! :tongue:

I cring at some of the stuff we sang about... just want to find that younger version of me and bop some sense upside his head...

even considering the era and what we didn’t know then *groan*

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The one story that surprised me that Ray told was an Archie in the '60's story, where he said the staff at a couple of points started to create situations where fights were created to get the corps riled up because they felt everyone was getting along too well and the corps was getting stale as a result.

Ray then said that really wasn't a very good idea and said he tried to promote everyone getting along as well as possible. :satisfied:

Sometimes... the best stories for the young folks are the ones that explain why you teach in a certain way and try to act right in a certain way. It helps keep the days of the guy with the beer in one hand and the lit ciggy in the other on the sidelines yelling "YOU ALL SUCK! DO IT AGAIN!!!" masquerading as instruction from happening again.

Hanover guy who marched in the 50s and 60s said shows would put Hanover between Archie and Reilly at retreat just in case lol. “Yeah like we would have stopped them coming through “

we had shirts that said “Hanover walks on water” on the front and “#### floats” on the back. Said  shirts ONLY to be worn at our local practice site on the island. No way Hershman was going to let anyone outside the corps see that. Years later talked to a Lancer snare about it and had a good laugh as nothing personal. Just a way to crank the members up a bit.

thus says the guy who wrote part of a WSM song about the Lancers. >:-).     (Cell phone emojis not working here)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hairbear.

I never met you or Sandy McNeal although I had a few years in DCA, with Crusaders and Statesmen.  However, I ALWAYS knew of you and Sandy watching you perform.  Its okay to teach the younger ones a little history or they will always think they "wrote the book."  Most have their ideas of their band then go to drum corps.

There is always history to learn

i never tire of hearing of the old days as long as it doesnt include "the stuff today sucks"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i never tire of hearing of the old days as long as it doesnt include "the stuff today sucks"

The real drift I got out of the Keystoner Alumni at Milton was that the shows were very different, but Jesus, can they PLAY. More a feel that it was just 'different'  way more than it 'sucked'. Met a fellow who knew the Keystoner people I marched with at Westshore, which was a good thing. Here's one for you, Jeff- I know there was at least one ex-Keystoner on the field with Westshore in 1996. Prolly throwing you a softball there. :satisfied: