Mandarins making noise!

Just now, GUARDLING said:

yes and members pay alot . Youre right it is just band there are more issues in the country to worry about I guess:smile:

And they pay a lot fully knowing that some competitions will have partial panels. Unless you're on the Blue Devils. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

And they pay a lot fully knowing that some competitions will have partial panels. Unless you're on the Blue Devils. 

ok if thats what you think and this has been your experience then that's fine as I said rant done, no need to carry on :smile:

I rarely rant, it's not worth it here and goes nowhere so give me my 1 for the year or 2..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing the results from tonight's show. It's going to be highly anticipated to see what this corps can continue to do. With Jim and JW's leadership, they are really moving this corps forward.

• Like 1

Goal of the Mandarins this week is  to make top twelve seed for San Antonio.  Crossmen join the battle tonight and Mandarins have the dreaded last corps before intermission spot. Other interesting note is that Mandarins have Saturday off with everyone else in Dekalb.  Fairly long drive from Dekalb to St Louis and this show has a history of running late so corps will want to leave once they  have performed in order to have maximum rest and rehearsal time in St Louis.  Tonight may be the last night of partial panels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega said:

Looking forward to seeing the results from tonight's show. It's going to be highly anticipated to see what this corps can continue to do. With Jim and JW's leadership, they are really moving this corps forward.

For the record, Ike Jackson is the man behind the movement of this corps :)

1 hour ago, dcifanforlife said:

Crossmen join the battle tonight and Mandarins have the dreaded last corps before intermission spot.

Not anymore. Intermission has been cut due to a Heat Advisory, which means it'll be Mandarins-Crossmen-Blue Stars going on back-to-back-to-back. Should be fun!

• Like 1

Mandarins have been around a long time! I remember them from my marching days in the late 70s as one of those corps that was kind of in the background, known only though occasional mentions in Drum Corps World. Times have changed!

From the corps' Wiki page:

The corps was founded in 1963 as the Ye Wah Drum and Lyre Corps, an activity for youth of Asian-American heritage. Roy Wong, Frank Lim, Thomas Fong, and Yuk Fong had originally approached the Sacramento Chinese community with the intent of starting a drum and bugle corps to perform at the many festivals and parades held each year in the Sacramento area. After struggling to get underway, the corps made its debut on the Fourth of July, 1963. A color guard was added to the corps in 1964 and became a competitive unit in 1965.

Entering the field as a competition corps, the group changed its name to the Mandarins Drum and Bugle Corps in 1967. The corps competed only in Northern California until making its first trip to Southern California in 1970. Since that first trip, the corps has represented its community, Sacramento, and California around the country and abroad. Mandarins appeared in the Taiwan presidential inaugural ceremonies in 1972 and '78. In 1974, they went to Hawaii to march in the King Kamehameha Parade. In 1975, they made their first trip to the Pacific Northwest and Canada. They made their first appearance at the DCI World Championships at Denver in 1978.

In 1983, under the leadership of Executive Director Ray Mar, the corps began working toward becoming a highly successful competitive corps, and they have been regular competitors in DCI since 1986, winning Class A60/Division III championships in 1987, '88, '92, and '96 through '99 and the Division II title in 2001. Mandarins moved into Division I (now World Class) in 2003, and their highest finish has been 13th place, earned in 2017. 

Edited by quietcity

5 minutes ago, quietcity said:

In 1983, under the leadership of Executive Director Ray Mar, the corps began working toward becoming a highly successful competitive corps, and they have been regular competitors in DCI since 1986, winning Class A60/Division III championships in 1987, '88, '92, and '96 through '99 and the Division II title in 2001. Mandarins moved into Division I (now World Class) in 2003, and their highest finish has been 13th place, earned in 2017. 

And during its A-60/Div III/Div II years from 1987 through 2002, Mandarins never placed lower than 3rd place at championships, oftentimes missing 1st place by only tenths of a point. It's so great to see them climbing the ranks within World Class now.

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1