Hoschton, GA - July 11, 2018

I feel sorry for the fans, many of whom might have had only tonight's show to see Cadets.  As the old saying goes "crap happens."

Also appreciate the way the Cadets director has handled this AND the way Spirit of Atlanta has handled this AND the way the high school principal attempted to make it work AND the high school the stepped up and offered their facilities.

MANY positives coming out of the "crap."

oh, and Go Blooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Beau R said:

My name is Beau Rowell and I'm a Board member of Friends of Spirit, Inc., which operates the Spirit of Atlanta Drum & Bugle Corps.

With respect to housing for Cadets for the Hoschton, GA show, both Spirit and Cadets were caught off guard about the loss of Woodland HS as a housing site for the Cadets, only learning about it last night during the Valdosta, GA show.  We are very thankful to the staff at Cairo High School, who made their facilities available at the last minute for Cadets.  Further, we understand Cadet's decision to not attend the Hoschton show at Mill Creek HS due to the distances between Cairo HS and Mill Creek HS.

Here are the facts surrounding Woodland HS as a housing site for Cadets for the Hoschton show:

• the Friends of Spirit team dealt with a particular individual at Woodland, who had confirmed to us in writing in May that Woodland could house Cadets on July 10/11
  • during the Valdosta show last night is when it became known that Woodland HS wasn't available as a housing site for Cadets
  • Friends of Spirit has learned in the last couple hours that the individual we were dealing with on housing suddenly no longer works for Woodland and, prior to his departure from Woodland, apparently didn't follow proper procedures to officially request that the school be used as a housing site for July 10/11, despite telling us otherwise
  • as a result the Woodland school administration was not aware of the Cadets' arrival for July 10/11
  • we do not know at this time if other events are occurring at Woodland today, but it's likely that football practice or other activities could have been a conflict
  • Woodland did try to make it work but were not able to make arrangements at the last minute

Securing housing sites is a big challenge for all DCI drum corps. Please know that the principal at Woodland High School is NOT the person to be blamed this situation. As you now know, the principal did not "back out" and in fact did all they could to try to make it work. From Woodland's perspective, they learned that Cadets would be arriving with only about six hours notice. 

Hopefully you now understand this situation.  We respectfully ask that you not bombard Principal Ellis and blame her for Woodland not being available for Cadets.  Sending her derogatory letters will not help this situation, and in fact could be problematic long term for Spirit, which held spring training at Woodland. We've worked diligently at developing positive relationships with school districts in the greater Atlanta area. Let's please not undermine the foundations built by blaming the wrong person for this situation.

Thank you.

you did all you could given the situation. My hunch is going forward, hosts will want to work with upper administration directly. 

• Like 4

Does anyone know the adjusted schedule now?...extended intermission?...corps on earlier etc?

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Agreed. Takes ownership, apologizes for anyone’s disappointment, explains the response - all in a clear manner. No ego or finger pointing or typos. Refreshing indeed!

Dix!

I missed all the excitement today or for a better word LACK of it....and honestly...the lack of DRAMA is clearly demonstrated here with the utmost of professionalism...unlike school children having at it at a playground.  KUDOS to both SOA and Cadets organizations and their administration teams...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BlooBill said:

Liahona - schedule posted on page 1 doesn’t include the Cadets, so I assume it is correct

7jCnkBV.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

I didn't look there..I was looking at schedule on fromthepressbox.com  Cadets were scheduled for 8:55pm which is now intermission...it appears they pushed the first corps step-off 20 minutes later.

Thanks! ;-)

Music City has one of my favorite shows this season! I hope they do well and welcome to world class.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 6