Hoschton, GA - July 11, 2018

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Not really. Corps have even made up over 3 point spreads... with all Corps scores in the high 80's,  8 days out from Championships. Some Corps in the 90's, will have the scores go down in Championships, thus increasing the spreads.

It’s not to say corps don’t improve their relative scores, it’s that as scores climb closer to 100, they will by nature get closer together, you can’t gain two points a night for the rest of the tour. The concept of the dci scoring system is to land in the correct order, not necessarily with the correct points. As such, placements are more relevant than scores and margins.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Casual said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like the judging is so subjective that corps are scored more on “reputation” than anything else?

It's hard to prove this, but if it was true, Boston would not have had a great year last year, and the great possibilities they could have this year.  Great designs, by very good instructors, who work with great mm, usually are the key to corps doing well. 

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Casual said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like the judging is so subjective that corps are scored more on “reputation” than anything else?

posted from the DrumScorps app

In all honesty, it depends on if your favorite corps wins or not. :)

Mike

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

7 minutes ago, Casual said:

In all honesty, it depends on if your favorite corps wins or not. :)

Mike

No, I’m not looking at it from that perspective. If you look at the scores, they are almost always in the order of performance.

That just seems too convenient. I’d think there would be more variation since the performers are not robots. Just seems fishy to me. Every corps has good and bad nights, but you’d never know it from the scoring.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casual said:

No, I’m not looking at it from that perspective. If you look at the scores, they are almost always in the order of performance.

That just seems too convenient. I’d think there would be more variation since the performers are not robots. Just seems fishy to me. Every corps has good and bad nights, but you’d never know it from the scoring.

Check out Mandarins last night. 

5 minutes ago, Casual said:

It’s the nature of a scoring system that tops out at a predetermined score. The scores are not necessarily reflective of what you accom0lished, but rather what you accomplished as compared to other corps, and projecting forward to finals night. It’s a strange system but I guess you gotta pick one.

30 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s not to say corps don’t improve their relative scores, it’s that as scores climb closer to 100, they will by nature get closer together,

I like you as a poster MikeRapp as you seem bright, articulate and you offer some good insights on here over the years. But... you are simply wrong in your belief that as the " scores get closer to 100, they will by nature get closer together."

You can go back and look at the Regionals in July and the Finals Nights scores for the last decade.. or as far back as you choose. You will find if you do the research that the scores from the July Regionals collectively as a group increase and " get closer to 100 " and move up from hjere onward to Finals night . However, for your theory to hold, the point differentials spread margins from 1st to 12th from July Regionals to Finals Night would be smaller. But do they ? No. Sometimes ( such as recently as 2016 ) the spread margins were significantly larger at Finals with Corps 1-12, than they were a month earlier at the Atlanta Regionals in July. The scores all moved up and " got closer to 100 ", but the spread margins increased, not " got smaller ". In 2017, the difference was insignificant too. If we go back and research this MIkeD you might find compelling evidence to have you rethink this notion you have that "as the scores get closer to 100, the margins become smaller".The evidence ( historical scores as data to be utilized in the research ) simply does not support this theory of yours,.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Liahona said:

yet they overachieved their book...but JP is tough

Prosperie is a good Percussion judge, and a good all around guy. But his assessment of Boston Percussion line the last 2 seasons are at odds with his percussion colleagues. This does not mean he's wrong, and the others right. It simply means he tends to have lower scores for Boston than other judges. Now.. maybe this means Boston's kids tighten up when they learn he's on the panel, who knows. Or maybe its the luck of the performance and its coincidental that Boston does not perform as well as in previous performances when he's the judge for the night. who knows. Then again, no complaints from me. He calls it as he assesses it, and thats good enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Casual said:

Just compare this show's order of performance and final results.  Different, correct?