Ogden, UT - July 11, 2018

8 hours ago, luv4corps said:

BD did this same loop last year.  Didn't hurt them any.  They simply kicked butt the whole season the way SCV is doing THIS year.

SCV has done this arm of tour several years in the past.  The pacific northwest, Utah, Colorado - is hardly a 'backwater loop'.  Back in 2011, Cadets did this arm also, and won gold.  And yes, they were scheduled to come out west this year originally but cancelled.  BK has been along for the ride as well.  They aren't exactly chopped liver.

Perhaps you're just upset that SCV is scoring higher than your corps of choice and you're looking to blame, I don't know, a region? 

Hallelujah! That was an accurate response to an unfounded and uninformed opinion. Perhaps the history lesson was of some benefit. Well stated just the same and agreed...BK is a top 12 team...SCV...well that’s just a monster under the bed which is why he keeps the night light on. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EDAVE said:

Just stop. SCV score is not inflated.  Beat Knights by 7.3, similar margin as recent previous shows.  Same night BK scores 78.95, Stars 78.75, Mandarines 78.6,  Regiment 78.9.  Stars, Mandarines, Regiment have been swapping close wins in recent shows together and are essentially even.  Knights beat Mandarines by 1.55 in their last meeting.  So unless Mandarins have caught Knights, either SCV and Knights are under scored or Stars, Mandarines, Regiment were over scored and therefore so was Devils as they were in the same contest as Regiment. Assuming Mandarines have caught Knights (thought doubful) then it can be argued that SCV is 7.3 ahead of Regiment who BD beat by 5.9.    Comparing scores then shows SCV is 1.4 ahead of BD which is exactly what the scores show (SCV 86.25, BD 84.8).  Do the math.

THANK YOU! Someone finally making some sense. We hear this every year, and it's spreads that matter, not actual scores. You have illustrated it perfectly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EDAVE said:

Just stop. SCV score is not inflated.  Beat Knights by 7.3, similar margin as recent previous shows.  Same night BK scores 78.95, Stars 78.75, Mandarines 78.6,  Regiment 78.9.  Stars, Mandarines, Regiment have been swapping close wins in recent shows together and are essentially even.  Knights beat Mandarines by 1.55 in their last meeting.  So unless Mandarins have caught Knights, either SCV and Knights are under scored or Stars, Mandarines, Regiment were over scored and therefore so was Devils as they were in the same contest as Regiment. Assuming Mandarines have caught Knights (thought doubful) then it can be argued that SCV is 7.3 ahead of Regiment who BD beat by 5.9.    Comparing scores then shows SCV is 1.4 ahead of BD which is exactly what the scores show (SCV 86.25, BD 84.8).  Do the math.

So we can all of a sudden compare scores between different shows and state placements and spreads as facts?

Edited by Cappybara

It's pretty simple. At separate shows corps A beats corps B by 2 pts, corps B beats corps C by 2 pts.  It can then be rationalized that corps A would beat Corps C by 4 points.  It's a guesstimate, not a fact, for where things might compare.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, just_another_fanatic said:

So we can all of a sudden say a score is inflated because it doesn't fit the narrative that we prefer? 

And what narrative would that be? Quite interesting that you have me all figured out

Edited by Cappybara

22 hours ago, tedrick said:

nailed it -

I'm upset that Vanguard has busted an 86, artificially inflating the ceiling - I'm looking to blame whoever is responsible for the schedule -- it would be more exciting if the top 6 from the previous year were grouped together the follow season --

This argument is tired and old. I heard it when I marched many years ago and ended up beating all the west coast corps at Finals. The answer is simple: the ceiling in Ogden was different than the ceiling in [insert any city here] on July 11th, 2018. I’m willing to bet if the Cadets had made the trip, they probably would have performed after PC, and SCV would have an even higher number. YES - they are THAT GOOD.

But. IT DOES NOT MATTER. This happens EVERY YEAR and everyone makes the joke “BD will score 114 at finals”. Yet somehow, year after year, the scores sort themselves out after they all meet up. The TOC format won’t change the end result, and neither does the current format. What you’re proposing would just take top corps out of shows from all over the country, forcing them to spend more money, and concentrate them in specific areas, which I don’t think is fair to fans or MM. Wondering what will happen after 3 weeks of 8 corps not meeting head to head and scoring nearly the same numbers is dramatic and builds excitement for a months long season. 

Imagine if the NBA or MLB did this? It wouldn’t work, it would immediately alienate and cut off 75% of the fan base (see: $$$$$) and it would be (even more) boring.

Edited by euphononium
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, tedrick said:

I agree - they are great this year! I just wish they could be great at shows with other to 5 corps...

Patience.

This increases the excitement.  Once they all compete together, slotting takes over, and the season is done.      :bored:

• Thanks 1

The score is one thing being so high but is it an advantage. Running the tables every night against BK does not hone in on your weaknesses that may need attention.