St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We’re here.  Tried the St. Louis pizza for lunch.  That’s the strangest pizza I’ve ever had.  

The first time I had pizza in STL I thought they messed the order up.  It was basically marinara on a huge cracker with cheddar cheese cut into squares.  It was awful.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, tommynev said:

If anyone is in St. Louis an extra day and enjoys theater, take a trip to The Muny in Forest Park. It's a gigantic outdoor theater that's celebrating their 100th anniversary this year. They're doing the first licensed regional production of "Jersey Boys" this week. Almost all the actors they bring in are Broadway veterans and I hear this is another fantastic Muny show. If you get there an hour or so before showtime and don't mind sitting in the very back the tickets are free.  Plus, Forest Park is gorgeous.

Forest Park was the site of the 1903 Worlds Fair.  I believe.  Great Zoo, art museum, museum of science golf course and I think they still have gondola rides.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had to try it.  I’m the curious cat. 

If I never have it again I won’t feel like I missed anything. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had to try it.  I’m the curious cat. 

You're only mistake.....needed to switch the cheddar with Bloo cheese :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

A cracker with cheeze whiz,. 

I guess you have to be forced to eat it at a very young age to acquire a taste. We’re in a hotel room with only one bathroom. We were afraid we were going to recreate the bathroom scene from Bridesmaids. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Good to see the Rams stadium being put to use instead of just sitting there and rotting. 

good point - we always think of drum corps as a benefit for new pro football stadiums - it's a different story when drum corps becomes the biggest draw for the venue -- 

nary a monster truck jam on the schedule!

https://explorestlouis.com/venue/americas-center-dome/

Edited by tedrick
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

I do not believe in using band in a disparaging way, as often happens, but I do believe in the importance of distinctions. Soccer, football, basketball, baseball, rugby, are all sports and somehow use balls, but each is distinctive. Would a newspaper simply say there is a ball game to describe an athletic event? 

When it comes to drum corps, we need to get out the message of how hard the kids work, how elaborate the shows have become, the try outs, the travel involved, etc. and what makes it district. Do I recommend letters to the editor and protests? No, but we should not be afraid of what makes the activity different and all that makes it amazing.

Enough of my rant, on to predictions and discussions!

I understand what you are saying, but you (and many here) need to understand from the normal uneducated (in all things drum corp) person's view, it looks like a band (and indeed it is a band), a specific kind of band for sure, but I have adopted my son's view on this, it is just band.  And he teaches in a corps you would well recognize.  It often seems that some folks on DCP get all a-bother when some news person or someone else calls what DCI does as band.  Just be glad they are publicizing what is going on here.  Maybe someone unknowingly will come out and like it and come back for more.  Then is the time to educate.

• Thanks 2

Just got into town! What's for dinner? (apparently, not pizza)

• Haha 1