St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

Mandarins SO much better live! Its freaky and weird and totally awesome. Last year brass seemed to be their weak point but they have clearly resolved that issue. Guard continues to slay. Loved it.

• Like 2

Honestly.  I'm having the same reaction as the first read at DCI West.  "I'd like to rewind and see that again. RIGHT NOW."

• Like 2

Love this brass book from the Mandarins.  Beautiful.  Interesting nuances.  Fresh.  Has its own sound.

My first full read of this show.  Wow.  What a great follow up to last year.  

This corps is going places.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

I can't quite put my finger on what the exact story Mandarins are trying to tell is, but the music and imagery is so #### cool that I don't mind at all

Basically, sacrificial virgins end up in weird places.

Edit to add: I still think there's a Hieronymus Bosch "Garden of Earthly Delights" influence in the visual design.  Particularly borrowing from the third panel of that triptych. 

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was wondering if the Mandarin’s hornline was going to march and play at the same time.  Finally, they did towards the end.  Now I see why they were scoring well....it’s not hard to just stand there and play your part. I’m not thinking this show will hang tough until the end.  

Edited by DrumCorpsNutt
  • Like 3

Wow!  Amazing show from Mandarins!  No way that is not top 10 in Indy.  And I loved Spirit too.  Going to be very interesting in Indy!  And I completely agree with whoever compared rhe Mandarins guard to Magic of Orlando.  That was the first thing I thought when I saw them too!

• Like 2