St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

12 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

Can't wait, been 30 years since the city of St Louis had a regional. So happy for the St Louis organizers to get this here. I hope this is the first of many!!! 

Sat directly in front of the DCI Box, and I turned and emphatically told Dan Acheson: Please come back next year! He said they would try.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Your content scores go up when you achieve more. It takes achieving to see the full extent of the content. Not sure how anyone can watch the two, pay attention to the difference in simultaneous demand on the performer and argue that Mandarins have a more difficult and content filled show than the Blue Stars. For example, watch how much the Mandarins brass line actually plays on the move, it's not much in comparison to Blue Stars. Watch the actual drill and how much more Blue Stars move in general. But to each his own. You'll see I'm right soon enough. No offense, but it's true. :) I love the Mandarins and am so happy for them, but I think people hoping for higher than 11th are going to be disappointed.

If you can watch the Mandarins again and pay attention to the drum majors and see how complex their tempos and time signatures are, and actually listen to their book, you will have a better understanding why your argument about content is inaccurate. Blue Stars have a good show, but Carpenters music is not that demanding. 

7 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

If you can watch the Mandarins again and pay attention to the drum majors and see how complex their tempos and time signatures are, and actually listen to their book, you will have a better understanding why your argument about content is inaccurate. Blue Stars have a good show, but Carpenters music is not that demanding. 

So different corps are approaching demand in different ways? Blue Stars have more simultaneous demand but Mandarins have trickier music?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Mandarins do not move and play  as much as  Blue Stars . Phantom or Crossmen . All top 17 corps have hard tempos and meters. I believe the argument about content is quite accurate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It would be interesting to find out how that big tear at the beginning of Crown’s show affected their brass score. 

My guess..probably less than Crown's singer missing all her solos at Finals last season due to a Finals Night malfunction. Crown's scores if we recall went UP from the Semi's last season on Finals Night, despite the botched solos ( engineering malfunction ). So if solos in the show are botched, I don't see why a small tear in the brass line playing would be handled much differently in GE and in brass scores.. But of course... nobody really knows..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I don’t understand Blue Stars being a point over Mandarins.    

I have a strong feeling that will NOT happen for much longer.   

I dont understand Mandarins being a point over Crossmen . And Also have a feeling this will not hold. 

44 minutes ago, 777hornman said:

Mandarins do not move and play  as much as  Blue Stars . Phantom or Crossmen . All top 17 corps have hard tempos and meters. I believe the argument about content is quite accurate. 

I guess my point is moving while playing is not all there is to demand and content. While BS may move and play more, their musical book is not as demanding. Of course, it's my opinion, and it's ok that it won't be changing yours. 

Edited by CAtenhut

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Wow, Bloo currently 6th in percussion with Phantom not too far behind them. Throw BK and SCV in the mix and they’re looking at potentially being 8th in percussion, yikes 

If you are going to have a captron that lags however, make it a performer execution caption, ie Brass, Percussion, Guard.

Would the Bluecoats prefer to be 6-8th in Percussion ( performer performance caption ) or in GE captions ( adult design ) ? Well, despite subpar perecussion scores tonite ( 6th in Percussion ), the Bluecoats were a mere 2 tenths from actually winning the show. What place would they be in if they were top 2-3 in performer execution captions, but 6th in GE ?  So i think by answering this, it tells us all what drives the scores and placements the most... and its certainly not Percussion ( nor Brass )... haha

Edited by BRASSO
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m trying to get use to the high pitched whiney screams when someone catches what they throw into the air. Aren’t you suppose to catch it? Yeaaaaaaa he caught it. Okay fine

It's a WGI thing I think...anytime I've watched a WGI show I've heard the audience scream like schoolgirls on catches....guess there is bleed over now...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Liahona said:

It's a WGI thing I think...anytime I've watched a WGI show I've heard the audience scream like schoolgirls on catches....guess there is bleed over now...

The biggest cheer in Denver... by far... most wow moment... was not a brass line play, guard toss and catch, percussion feature, brass solos or trios... it wasn;t music at all that generated the most wow moment of the night with the Denver audience. It was SCV's dance sequence, where they put their music instruments down on the ground in front of them, and do a clever hip hop dance in unison. We can watch for this in the future. It generated the largest audible response of the night's competition. Its near the end  of SCV's show. It even tops the GE moments generated by the fabulous singer soloist the Bluecoats have this summer... All are packing a wallop on the GE sheets these days too. Corps are reevaluating what moves the scores and placements, and some Corps are more tuned in to this than others at the moment. We see this even in the lower tiers. Where some Corps arn't all that great in Brass playing or Percussion playing or marching techniques compared to their peers in their immediate grouping. Instead they have packaged terrific GE moments that do not include brass/ percussion playing nor marching, but instead great STAGING and Prop moments, and Guard creativity moments and visually oriented moments and/ or greatly talented singer(s) moments. They are moving ahead on the all important GE captions as a result.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2