St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

2 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Which stretch is that?

The most recent one. 2014-2016

3 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m no fan of his work. 

Interesting. I think he's one of the best, and he's normally unafraid to get under the hood. However, for a first sampling on everyone, could give him a Mulligan. 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, 777hornman said:

I don’t see or hear it.  Design lacking as compared to its peers. Sorry but it’s not a top 5 show .

Judges tonite would tend to agree. They are potentially medals worthy in Brass, Percussion. Guard. They march well and they play well, and they utilize Guard equipment well. They are scoring within medals range for certain in performer execution But these performer execution captions are not rewarded as they used to be on the sheets. Thats not a complaint. Thats just an observation of the change in whats rewarded. GE is what carries the scores/ placements. And with the disparate shows, and completely dissimilar instrumentations being utilized between all these competing groups, the sights and sounds coming from the field ( with singers/ electronic layerings ) are all equally great  but completely diverse and unlike one another in virtually every respect, imo. So its not a matter as to which show design is " better ". Thats now indeterminable in my humble opinion. Its now a function as to what do the GE judges " like " and " prefer " more now. Not what is " better ". Thats pretty much impossible to tell us now, imo. Judges could reasonably do this in earlier decades when all the instruments of competition were the same to determine what was  performed" better " and whose Marching was " better ". Those " better " executed music and marching things then showed up on " better " GE scores. Does this happen now ? No. Of course not. A corps can be subpar in execution in ( for example ) Percussion playing, but still score high in GE, and even win or place high despite subpar performer execution. So its all changed. Show Designers are tasked with figuring out what is being rwarded on score sheets and create show designs that reward such.. and spend more time and focus there, and not so much on performer execution and cleaning anymore .NONE of these top Corps march particularly well, imo  with proper marching skills anymore, imo. All the top Corps have dirty feet,  bad lines and spacings, etc and so forth imo .Thats not so much a criticism as much as it is an observation that these things tend not to be rewarded when done well anymore like they used to be anyway. So Boston needs to figure out WHAT most is being rewarded now in GE and respond appropriately to that moving forward. I believe they will. They did not move up from 13th/ 14th at this time just 2 seasons ago by not figuring those placements and scores out. They'll figure out these current GE scores and respond in corrective fashion too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I don’t know, to me Mandarins are not cleaning up as well as others around them. Could they be caught towards the end of the season? Awesome show and I’ve been a fan of the organization for a long time. I’m rooting for them. 

Agree.  Seems like Crossmen and Academy and maybe others are cleaning more.  Could Mandarins be peaking too early?  Maxing out the show too soon?   I once marched in a corps that peaked in July.  Then getting beat by 7 points by a corps we beat in July.  Not a fun August.

4 hours ago, Pizazzman said:

Sheesh, I really don’t see what the judges are seeing with BD (or maybe why the judges don’t see what I’m seeing). Don’t get me wrong, BD is plenty good, but compared to Coats, there was so much dirt throughout the show and the hornline is way behind as well. That score is a real head scratcher to me. 

If it were me judging I'd probably have Bluecoats over BD by a pinch.  But BD is certainly right there with Bluecoats and SCV.  I agree with you that their brass is not yet at their typical great level, but that may still happen.  The Devils have been crafting this show from day one (where it was a skeleton of what you see now), and I do think they have more work to do before it becomes championship worthy.  Overall though I think the judges are scoring BD accurately. 

To me, if Devils can make the right adjustments they could easily win.  I can see Bluecoats and SCV winning too.  And I don't rule Crown out of the mix just yet. 

Blue Devils need to fix their transitions in and out of each show module.  They need to make more sense of all those crazy brass runs they play in the first two segments of the show. It needs to build more to Laura and Harlem.  I love the ballad, but they need to tighten the ending musically so it's not too much of a run-on sentence. I think they have done some of this already. It will also help if they rewrite portions of the solos for Trombone and Trumpet in order to embellish theme (should help with music GE) as opposed to just playing high notes over the brass line. The trombone solo needs to be less raspy and edgy and more refined, and the trumpet solo should layer lyrical lines above the melody a bit more.  Musically the end of the show is pretty solid, but visually it is not as appealing. I am sure there will be some staging work there.  Having said that, I still expect this to be an outstanding Blue Devils show, and with the right tweaks they can easily take it all. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m trying to get use to the high pitched whiney screams when someone catches what they throw into the air. Aren’t you suppose to catch it? Yeaaaaaaa he caught it. Okay fine

At the shows I've attended live this year it does seem as if there is more screaming when equipment is caught. I've also noticed something else that is driving me a bit bonkers. I saw a few cases where a guard member tossed a piece of equipment, did not catch it, does a mini fist pump and smiles as if the equipment was caught. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

I get it you’re a fan boy. You can stand at the stage door waiting for his autograph, I’ll pass. He’s no Prosperie. 

I (we) get you too, Jim. Save your 'tude,  I suggest you read the posts more carefully...you sound the bias "fan Man". Are you still in a bad mood because cuz of all the yelling over guard catches? Maybe your who should leave it to the youngsters...btw Bloo drum problems  didn't start last night! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

I (we) get you too, Jim. Save your 'tude,  I suggest you read the posts more carefully...you sound the bias "fan Man". Are you still in a bad mood because cuz of all the yelling over guard catches? Maybe your who should leave it to the youngsters...btw Bloo drum problems  didn't start last night! 

Is this necessary?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Is this necessary?

..to you apparently not, I am responding to him.