St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

7 hours ago, mfrontz said:

and a 9th place finish on the field... OUCH. I knew it was rough. Glad they had such a phenomenal front ensemble to bring them the 4th place ensemble score. Otherwise they would have lost the show.

7 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m no fan of his work. 

Allen K is an excellent percussion judge. It is interesting that both him and Jeff P (another great percussion judge) both read Bloo the same way. They just do not stack up in content or performance to the top half of the top 12. Cadets percussion is for real. They may be able to climb a spot but they also may fall a spot as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Agree.  Seems like Crossmen and Academy and maybe others are cleaning more.  Could Mandarins be peaking too early?  Maxing out the show too soon?   I once marched in a corps that peaked in July.  Then getting beat by 7 points by a corps we beat in July.  Not a fun August.

Nope, not even close to peaking. As someone who has watched Mandarins’ show many times, it was clear to me that they have made a significant number of changes to their show both visually and musically, including several changes to their brass book. So it’s not as if the members have been trying to clean but can’t—they’re simply learning new content and readjusting to it now. The staff knows the season is a marathon and not a sprint, and a lot of cleaning occurs on tour over just a couple weeks. 

Edited by brassboy

21 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Nope, not even close to peaking. As someone who has watched Mandarins’ show many times, it was clear to me that they have made a significant number of changes to their show both visually and musically, including several changes to their brass book. So it’s not as if the members have been trying to clean but can’t—they’re simply learning new content and readjusting to it now. The staff knows the season is a marathon and not a sprint, and a lot of cleaning occurs on tour over just a couple weeks. 

I'd agree with this.  I saw Mandarins on the DCI West feed before leaving for three weeks then again last night.  There were a number of noticeable musical changes, a lot more visual layers to the corps members in particular, and the addition of the stage (which they couldn't use on grass in the first show.). 

I get the sense that the staff know full well that coasting with what they opened with, or even have now, might not make it in a hyper competitive fight for the finals.  So like any corps that wants to say they belong at the highest levels of the activity, they're adapting, teaching, and growing what they have. 

The changes I noticed last night were fantastic and I'm sure there's more to come.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 777hornman said:

Mandarins do not move and play  as much as  Blue Stars . Phantom or Crossmen . All top 17 corps have hard tempos and meters. I believe the argument about content is quite accurate. 

Ever since 1990 Cadets, the winning trick has been avoiding true simultaneous demand.  Blue Devils have hammered that point home repeatedly over the past decade.  Do we expect judging principles to reverse themselves once we get past 8th place?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lindap said:

Before this thread derails...we don't scream at our winter guard shows. We applaud and yell at highlights. If you scream, we all scream for ice cream. St. Louis is an important show for a wonderful guard and marching instructor that was born there who contributes to drum corps and winter guard to this day. It was a good show and I don't have Flo 'cause I'm foreign.

We're talking drum corps on this thread. It's summer. Winter guard is in the winter. Get with the program:)

lindap:

I'm sincerely not meaning any disrespect.  Girls in the audience at DCI shows need to understand that their laser screaming shrieks for each and every rifle catch for every guard of every corps for the entire evening are excruciatingly painful to those of us seated in front of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Ever since 1990 Cadets, the winning trick has been avoiding true simultaneous demand.  Blue Devils have hammered that point home repeatedly over the past decade.  Do we expect judging principles to reverse themselves once we get past 8th place?

I think that argument can be demonstrated as misleading... or at least as misunderstood.  It's not demonstrated by looking at today's productions, but by looking more closely at the 'simultaneous demand' of the past.  Important questions when looking to the past:

1. What tonal center is the music and what transposition/configuration of horn is being used?

2. What really is the drill demand and who has it?

3. What is the extent of the visual vocabulary at the time?

4. What is the extent of the orchestral palette at the time?

It seems to me that the winning trick today is the same as it was in 1990... And that is to use all resources available to the greatest effect (technically and aesthetically).

Edited by cfirwin3

13 minutes ago, c mor said:

lindap:

I'm sincerely not meaning any disrespect.  Girls in the audience at DCI shows need to understand that their laser screaming shrieks for each and every rifle catch for every guard of every corps for the entire evening are excruciatingly painful to those of us seated in front of them. 

Every flag catch, every saber catch....every....####...catch.  

I understand that this is the audience DCI wants and they probably wish that us #### old people would just stop coming.  Well, it will happen soon enough because we aren’t going to live forever.  And I hope that when that day comes, your marketing strategy pans out in the way you hope DCI.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 777hornman said:

Bac is not close to the corps ahead or behind. Safe bets for 

6- Boston

7- Cadets 

I guess I don't get your math.  BAC is 2.77 behind BD.  So that's 5 corps within 2.77.  BAC is 1.35 behind Carolina who they tied last week.  BAC was .45 from Cavies.  So how this is "not close" is what I don't get.  There is a month to go so there are no safe bets.  Especially in the top 6.

• Like 4