St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

Just now, CAtenhut said:

I think that's our point. You're stating the obvious while missing the obvious. Haha! Corps that continue to make changes until Allentown will not seem as clean this early as others this early in the season. 

ok yes. but he said "now isn't the time for cleaning" - so I guess that threw me off

glad we're on the same page

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAtenhut said:

I think that's our point. You're stating the obvious while missing the obvious. Haha! Corps that continue to make changes until Allentown will not seem as clean this early as others this early in the season. 

Okay but that’s very different than saying a corps is “peaking early”

Thats literally the opposite of peaking early!

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Maybe we are splitting hairs here. I stand for all the corps as well. Frankly to stretch but also to recognize all the hard work that goes into it - no matter the "competitive success" etc... 

However - the  SCREAMING at each rifle catch is inane. That's what folks seem to be complaining about  here - it is very narcissistic and not at all about the performer. Frankly its about garnering attention for one's self. Just like selfies, sitting on a guys shoulders at a concert,  or acting overly "moved" by a performance, falling around and wailing at the theater etc - it is a lesson in modern narcissism and not at all good manners. It's  rude. But hey - it's usually kids so I try to give them a pass unless it gets out of control. 

Love this 1000 times. 

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Maybe we are splitting hairs here. I stand for all the corps as well. Frankly to stretch but also to recognize all the hard work that goes into it - no matter the "competitive success" etc... 

However - the  SCREAMING at each rifle catch is inane. That's what folks seem to be complaining about  here - it is very narcissistic and not at all about the performer. Frankly its about garnering attention for one's self. Just like selfies, sitting on a guys shoulders at a concert,  or acting overly "moved" by a performance, falling around and wailing at the theater etc - it is a lesson in modern narcissism and not at all good manners. It's  rude. But hey - it's usually kids so I try to give them a pass unless it gets out of control. 

It's not narcissistic at all -- it's a genuine form of encouragment to the guard.  I get that it annoys people (especially if the screamers are directly behind you) but don't project your feelings on to the kids who are just honestly cheering them on.  If you've been to Dayton for guard championships,  you'd get it. (And it is nothing new.  It's been happening in gyms for a very long time.  it's just new to guard outdoors!  ).  Teach them that drum corps is not winterguard.  They're smart -- they'll get it (and probably still squeal at big catches once in a while!) 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Frankly its about garnering attention for one's self. Just like selfies, sitting on a guys shoulders at a concert,  or acting overly "moved" by a performance, falling around and wailing at the theater etc - 

... or going on line and posting our opinions about how the corps should design their shows because every one of us knows better than the people actually doing it, and our opinions are so important that everyone involved with drum corps needs to hear them ... 

THAT'S how you do narcissism.  Old School, baby!!!

:winky:

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, karuna said:

It's not narcissistic at all -- it's a genuine form of encouragement to the guard

oh ok, you've convinced me! :bigsmile:

And yes, been to WGI contest for decades 

I won't pretend that I am qualified to have any judgement on the scoring but being in the stands for over 55 years may account for something. The Bluecoats were the loudest with the most clarity and packed the best entertainment punch all weekend. I like SCV has some real originality and they are performing the heck out of it. The Blue Devils sound the same as last year and like last year the end of the ballad is the same as the shows ending, loved it last year but is already old for me. Also lots of moment in BD's show that is just horsing around with no meaning. However the amount of internet traffic that the Nighthawks painting is getting because of this show must be increasing it perceived value and BD should share in the profits.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Eleran said:

... or going on line and posting our opinions about how the corps should design their shows because every one of us knows better than the people actually doing it, and our opinions are so important that everyone involved with drum corps needs to hear them ... T

THAT'S how you do narcissism.  Old School, baby!!!

:winky:

ouch. 

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

oh ok, you've convinced me! :bigsmile:

And yes, been to WGI contest for decades 

WGI contests <> WGI Finals.  It's a whole new level of screaming when there are that many guard kids in an audience. You just learn to embrace it.  DCI is different because the performers are making the music -- not a recording.    If they realized it's not about annoying the old farts but respecting the performers on the field,  they'll totally be down with that, dude!   

1 minute ago, karuna said:

WGI contests <> WGI Finals.  It's a whole new level of screaming when there are that many guard kids in an audience. You just learn to embrace it.  DCI is different because the performers are making the music -- not a recording.    If they realized it's not about annoying the old farts but respecting the performers on the field,  they'll totally be down with that, dude!   

I wish you’d stop with the old fart stuff.  It’s rude.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2