St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

I fell out of this thread last night when friends showed up, but I wanted to say that yesterday was a fantastically entertaining show top to bottom. We brought four friends who hadn't seen drum corps before and had no idea of what they were in for, and every one of them asked me to grab tickets for the show next year before the final few corps had even taken the field. There were lots of folks in the stands, and I have to imagine there are now a bunch of new casual fans in the STL area. I hope we get to host another regional again soon, and this show really has us excited for finals week!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

ouch. 

I hurt right with you.  I'm 52 and one my of brothers is 59 and I am constantly laughing at him when his twitter feed devolves to "Get off'a my lawn!", all of which reminds me to look in the mirror and laugh at myself too.

1 minute ago, karuna said:

WGI contests <> WGI Finals.  It's a whole new level of screaming when there are that many guard kids in an audience. You just learn to embrace it.  DCI is different because the performers are making the music -- not a recording.    If they realized it's not about annoying the old farts but respecting the performers on the field,  they'll totally be down with that, dude!   

Been to finals 20 times or so. - so do I get to have an opinion? Squealing at the top of one's lungs is what I'm personally talking about - not normal clapping for a cool  moment. There's a difference . 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Been to finals 20 times or so. - so do I get to have an opinion? Squealing at the top of one's lungs is what I'm personally talking about - not normal clapping for a cool  moment. There's a difference . 

Scream away.  I’m not saying anything here about it anymore.  I’ll just get up and leave, 

Edited by Terri Schehr

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I hurt right with you.  I'm 52 and one my of brothers is 59 and I am constantly laughing at him when his twitter feed devolves to "Get off'a my lawn!", all of which reminds me to look in the mirror and laugh at myself too.

lol = well - I would "kindly" suggest that those (many) of us that have been "going online to offer our opinions on show design" as far as the Cadets are concerned the past decade or show HAVE A POINT  stronger than "get off my lawn"  - hasn't exactly been Mona Lisa after Mona Lisa out of Allentown ... sadly

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Scream away.  I’m not saying anything here about it anymore.  I’ll just get up and leave, 

I guess I shouldn't find it surprising the folks are defending the screamers. Your tale about the Boston ballad is exactly what I was laughing at last night listening to the feed. A serious lovely moment in the show

I remember "BITD" when everyone would go bonkers for each high pitched sop solo and scream like crazy even when it wasn't musical, the playere fracked and cracked ten times and turned blue. I felt the same way then. lol

Maybe I'm just "no fun"

Edited by George Dixon

10 minutes ago, eg0n said:

I fell out of this thread last night when friends showed up, but I wanted to say that yesterday was a fantastically entertaining show top to bottom. We brought four friends who hadn't seen drum corps before and had no idea of what they were in for, and every one of them asked me to grab tickets for the show next year before the final few corps had even taken the field. There were lots of folks in the stands, and I have to imagine there are now a bunch of new casual fans in the STL area. I hope we get to host another regional again soon, and this show really has us excited for finals week!

that's awesome! Sounds like a good chance it will be back there next year  - went well from everyone's reports - always comes down to the  $$ of the stadium obviously

Cheering for guard performers is now narcissistic. What a time to be alive!

Next, "Wendy sent me a thank you note. She's so narcissistic." "Wait, did that guy tell me to have a nice day? What a narcissistic a-hole."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was going to apologize for using "old fart" but after reading this maybe I won't.   

Those screamers aren't being rude -- they just don't know any better.  You can teach them or you can "give them the stank eye and walk out".  

Personally I love it that kids who've never seen drum corps are going to shows!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kdaddy said:

Cheering for guard performers is now narcissistic. What a time to be alive!

Next, "Wendy sent me a thank you note. She's so narcissistic." "Wait, did that guy tell me to have a nice day? What a narcissistic a-hole."

that's not what we are talking about - we are talking about screaming at the top of your lungs for EVERY catch the entire 9 hour show

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1