St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Was she asked to show you folks her ticket?

I sit with a group that includes some folks who have sat together each year since Philadelphia, 1975. It includes board members from four corps, two Hall of Famers, friends of friends, old timers, newcomers, and all kinds of folks in between. Most  of us only know each other from sitting together at Lucas Oil Stadium, but for those three days we are best friends and family. I owe them a huge debt I can never repay: they introduced me to Shapiro’s and the best hot pastrami this side of Heaven. We switch seats all the time, and I knew there was a possibility I was wrong, so I took out my ticket first. I’m sure she had to produce a ticket too. Murphy’s Law and knowing a bit about the Bible helps here: never take the seat of honor at a banquet because someone more important than you may come and you will have to move shamefacedly to the back. If I didn’t take out my ticket first and verify to myself I was in the correct seat, I would have been moving shamefacedly somewhere else.

32 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just disagree with your opinion of people expressing excitement. But then you fell back on the tired "have you ever even marched (etc.)?" logic. 

For the record, I need no qualifications to think it's silly that folks (regardless of their age or years of experience or stature in society) get bent out of shape at kids screaming for guard catches.

It's just that it was physically painful.  That's all I'm trying to convey.

There are more performers on the field than just guard.  The screams made me miss musical moments.   

I appreciated their enthusiasm, and I didn't want to ruin their experience coming down on them in any way.   I thought perhaps mentioning it here would help people to consider how their behavior impacts other nearby fans the next time they attend a drum corps show.

• Like 1

The screamers are all about drawing attention to themselves. Obnoxious lot, them. 

My worst experience involved a middle aged white guy.  Totally ruined the Bluecoats 2010 semis performance for me and surrounding fans, screaming and berating them for their electronics usage. I told him he was a disgrace to the hat and shirt he was wearing (Madison). People around me thanked me for speaking up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That awkward moment you sign up for a forum, but instantly regret doing so, because after 22 corps battle it out in a heated competition, the only ongoing conversation seems to be:

To scream or not to scream? 

SMDH. 

Edited by BostonLUck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Re: the bolded: No they didn't.

Semifinals score 96.5875, Finals score 97.575.

Excuse me ?  I posted that Crown's score went up from Semi Finals to Finals last season in my post above. 97.575 tops 96.5875. In caption breakdowns, Crown's Music Analysis went up from 19.60 to 19.80 from Semi's to Finals, and their overall GE lost 2 tenths... thats it.. from Semi's to Finals. So when I posted above that the Crown's botched solos in both segments of their show had no effect on their scores on Finals Night, its hard to try and quibble with that observation it would seem to me. For context, my reply here was to a posters question to us if we thought Crown's musical tear we all heard last nite had an effect on their scores. I responded " probably not " and utilized this example as to why I think it probably did not effect their score last night all that much. Brass/ Music/ Percussion playing ( and marching ) do not carry the weight on the judging sheets like they once used too, imo. Thats my assessment anyway. GE drives the scores, and thats mostly visually driven now, imo.  For example, If a visually created prop tumbles and falls over, ( wind created or a malfunction ) or something similar to this happens,  that'll most likely effect the scores today now more negatively than a musical brass line tear heard, or any botched solos heard in any Corps show.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Huh ? I said Crown's score went up from Semi Finals to Finals last season in my post above. 97.575 tops 96.5875.

Ah. I typoed. Bad form on me, calling someone out for being wrong and then typoing the correction. My apologies.

Their Finals score was a 96.575.

Here's the relevant links, if anyone's interested: https://www.dci.org/scores/recap/2017-dci-world-championship-semifinals-presented-by-earasers and https://www.dci.org/scores/recap/2017-dci-world-championship-finals

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

That awkward moment you sign up for a forum, but instantly regret doing so, because after 22 corps battle it out in a heated competition, the only ongoing conversation seems to be:

To scream or not to scream? 

SMDH. 

If it's any consolation, all the scream/not scream discussion began AFTER the show concluded. DURING the show there was actual discussion about the corps who performed.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

last night I watched on Flow and during one of the corps before the last intermission  (corps shall remain unnamed)  anda brass member did a movement  (along with the other members) with his leg that happened 5 times.

The problem is 2 fold - all the other members did the same move 4 times, not 5; and of course - silly FLO decided to zoom in on this brass member the entire time.

So - first you could see him doing his "body movement" which was clearly wrong, THEN you see his facial expression say "oh ####, that rights it if four not five" and then he looks around as if "I don't think anyone noticed" and then his face went into a big satisfied grin as if "yes, I nailed it"

it was so funny...  :biggrin:

Fake it 'til u make it! Fist pump or dab to come!

I didn't care for the "wink" either...