St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

1 hour ago, brassboy said:

Ive been in this activity for over 30 years and totally agree that inappropriately-timed shouting/yelling has ALWAYS been there.

Was at DCA the year the Brigs rein came to an end, someone shouted it's over Brigs, it over. Then someone 2 rows up went down and punched the guy in the face. One of our friends always gets the tickets and hotel for us. That year I said don't get us anymore of those nose bleed seats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

oh lord. I assumed you missed the opening of BD's show this year - when the guard is spread 0 to 0 with the brass players and they power  right out o f the gate spinning, playing and marching at north of 200 bpm  with insane demand and exposure? 

just because  they work to make something "look easy" doesn't mean it isn't difficult 

And  the 1990  comment - what an odd choice in a year to pick. 1990 Cadets had a ton of simultaneous demand (the most?) and WON. 93 Cadets - similar story. 94 BD similar. 91 Star similar. So the 1990 date is why exactly?

To clarify, what I meant by "true simultaneous demand" = the same person performing demanding music and motion, simultaneously.  Not just one section playing something good while some other non-playing section marches whiplash drill around them (that would more properly be called "coincidental demand").

Over the decades, some corps have succeeded by dazzling us with coincidental demand and not doing as much simultaneous demand.  It is a design choice.  If my memory serves, recent BD designs have many examples of this strategy, and the coordination of drill to music by 1990 Cadets is one other specific example.

55 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I sit with a group that includes some folks who have sat together each year since Philadelphia, 1975. It includes board members from four corps, two Hall of Famers, friends of friends, old timers, newcomers, and all kinds of folks in between. Most  of us only know each other from sitting together at Lucas Oil Stadium, but for those three days we are best friends and family. I owe them a huge debt I can never repay: they introduced me to Shapiro’s and the best hot pastrami this side of Heaven. We switch seats all the time, and I knew there was a possibility I was wrong, so I took out my ticket first. I’m sure she had to produce a ticket too. Murphy’s Law and knowing a bit about the Bible helps here: never take the seat of honor at a banquet because someone more important than you may come and you will have to move shamefacedly to the back. If I didn’t take out my ticket first and verify to myself I was in the correct seat, I would have been moving shamefacedly somewhere else.

That's all well and good Padre, but did she ever produce a ticket to support her claim?  Don't go all politician on us or I'll have Fr. Jim Hickey's  office manager of Holy Family's in Rockland, get in touch with you.  She marched with Holy Family Defenders and is hard core.  Even Jim H. asks how high when she tells him to jump!

Edited by Ghost

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Over the decades, some corps have succeeded by dazzling us with coincidental demand and not doing as much simultaneous demand.  It is a design choice.  If my memory serves, recent BD designs have many examples of this strategy, and the coordination of drill to music by 1990 Cadets is one other specific example.

Are you saying 1990 Cadets were doing coincidental and not simultaneous?  Not true.

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Nah all millennials are narcissistic don’t you get it?

If the screamers get to you avoid the dome shows...Go to outdoor shows only, too hot for the snowflakes!

4 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

too hot for the snowflakes!

This site just isn't fair I was pummeled for using that term, oh and how stupid am I thought screamers were the high sops.

38 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Ah. I typoed. Bad form on me, calling someone out for being wrong and then typoing the correction. My apologies.

Their Finals score was a 96.575.

No problem. If we're on here long enough, we'll all make mistakes like this at one time or another. I've made more than my share over the years on here from time to time too, thats for sure. I even utilized the scores you posted.. haha ( Crown's Semi's Scores/ Finals scores were actually about as identical as could be... 96.5875 to 96.5750... despite the solos snafu's on Finals Night.)

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

This site just isn't fair I was pummeled for using that term, oh and how stupid am I thought screamers were the high sops.

Pummeled here too...MORE SCREAMERS!!!

30 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Are you saying 1990 Cadets were doing coincidental and not simultaneous?  Not true.

No.  I am only saying that their drill, when I saw it, was carefully matched with the music to generate more coincidental demand and less simultaneous demand.  Every section had whiplash drill, but when it was their turn to play something difficult or exposed, their drill would drop out of warp speed for that feature.

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

If I didn’t take out my ticket first and verify to myself I was in the correct seat,

Purchased tickets for opening night on-line received a QR coded ticket with assigned seating. That night someone else showed up with the same QR coded seat number but was nice enough to find another seat. Progress and what we accept as an completed product today shows me how dumbed downed the fluoride in our water really made us. I blame it on the old Mr. Coffee machines the pot had 2 functions hold the coffee and pour the coffee, when some always drips on the counter that's a 50% failure rate and it's been down hill from there with most everything else.

Edited by Bluzes
typo