St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

2 hours ago, One n Done said:

Maybe DCI could put out a light-hearted/comedic video about fan behavior.  Show it prior to the show and at intermission as well.  Perhaps also a written guide to fan behavior in programs.  It IS an educational activity, which means teaching audience etiquette as well.  We want great crowd reactions-the kind that follow something truly moving.  Supporting every guard catch with a loud shriek as if it’s a programmed, Pavlonian response is perhaps not appropriate.  Now, if a soloist at a dramatic moment nails a 6, then yeah-that’s a moment for a squeal.  Weapon feature-again a correct moment to let the performer know about it.  I once saw “the 10 commandments of audience etiquette” in a concert program.  It was written humorously, while also informing attendees about what to expect and was expected FROM them.  Most folks DON’T understand audience etiquette.  Buying a ticket isn’t a license for personal behavior that sours the experience for other paying customers.  We want more fans and as we get them, need to educate them.  DCI should lead this.  As fans, perhaps an offending nearby attendee could be kindly spoken to between groups by other fans.  Harsh looks or comments probably won’t accomplish much and may be every bit as offensive to surrounding fans.  If you politely address a fellow fan and they get belligerent, or continue the poor behavior-take the problem to an usher.

The full-voiced conversation our two ushers were having during Crown's ballad WAS the problem!!!!!! I just turned around and put my index finger vertically on my closed lips, as to say STFU, of course with bulging eyes. They got it, thankfully.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No.  I am only saying that their drill, when I saw it, was carefully matched with the music to generate more coincidental demand and less simultaneous demand.  Every section had whiplash drill, but when it was their turn to play something difficult or exposed, their drill would drop out of warp speed for that feature.

I don’t recall seeing that going on. Watched it countless times. 

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just disagree with your opinion of people expressing excitement. But then you fell back on the tired "have you ever even marched (etc.)?" logic. 

For the record, I need no qualifications to think it's silly that folks (regardless of their age or years of experience or stature in society) get bent out of shape at kids screaming for guard catches.

IMO it’s annoying. Screaming like you’re being beaten to death gets old after five hours. But I was there unlike some. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

why are you being so insulting? The person you are not too subtly insulting has been a member, fan, donor and volunteer for the activity for DECADES

they aren't just some cranky "old fart"

geez. You weren't even there. Near as I can tell you are NEVER there. Have you ever been a member, volunteer, donor? I don't believe so.

Living life vicariously through a computer screen. While some are actually in attendance supporting the activity. I find it shockingly predictable considering. I’ve got to go practice my screaming at the top of my lungs so I can be annoying to others.

I might even bring a two year old too, so those around me can smell what he ate earlier. Enjoy ticket holders this ones for you. 

13 hours ago, Liahona said:

It's a WGI thing I think...anytime I've watched a WGI show I've heard the audience scream like schoolgirls on catches....guess there is bleed over now...

Its visual. Researchers tell us the Young, more than ever, respond better and more spontaneously to the visual as opposed to the verbal. Advertisers thus limit their spoken word in TV  advertisements, and relie heavily on the visual stimulai approach.

SCV has a great brass line, guard, percussion line, and some of the best brass soloists in their show that I've heard in DCI in years. Watch what gets the most " wow moments" reaction from the young at DCI shows however. Its none of these things. Its a visual moment in their show, where no brass plays at all, nor guard work takes place. Its a non musical dance moment that drives the young audiences wild. Watch for it in upcoming shows from SCV. to see what I am referring too with this  Its near the end of their show this season. Judges increasingly seem to be responding favorably to these non music " wow " moments too on the sheets... and it is kind of cool too imo, , even if in the performers University Music studies it is considered to have no real value there.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Living life vicariously through a computer screen. While some are actually in attendance supporting the activity. I find it shockingly predictable considering. I’ve got to go practice my screaming at the top of my lungs so I can be annoying to others.

I might even bring a two year old too, so those around me can smell what he ate earlier. Enjoy ticket holders this ones for you. 

Remember those canned party/fog horns people used to bring into shows in the 80s?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

no one said ALL

but be offended anyway - it's the millennial thing to do lol 

The obnoxious have no gender, age, decade, post or pre DCI, WGI or post local circuits,  Obnoxious is just obnoxious every generation, as well as venue has had plenty of it.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

The shreiking sounds we hear at WGI competitions for Guard tosses and catches, and now seemingly like everything else,  seen bleeding into DCI with audiences nowadays, is similar in some respects to a sport DCI is increasingly compared to in many respects..... figure skating. In figure skating, audiences have been known to shreik with delight when a figure skater cataputs into the air, and lands on their skates on the ice without slippage. Virtually every jump that is satisfactorily completed by the figure skater in competition we hear the audience shreik out with delight. Its what we hear with the rifle tosses and catches now with WGI/DCI audiences now too. It does get to be a bit much, but on the other hand, to hear audiences engaged in shows, seems to me far better than hearing little from audiences during the performance and then just golf claps at the end for Corps in performance.

Edited by BRASSO