St Louis, MO - July 15, 2018

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The shreiking sounds we hear at WGI competitions for Guard tosses and catches, and now seemingly like everything else,  seen bleeding into DCI with audiences nowadays, is similar in some respects to a sport DCI is increasingly compared to... figure skating. In figure skating, audiences have been known to shreik with delight when a figure skater cataputs into the air, and lands on their skates on the ice without slippage. Virtually every jump that is satisfactorily completed by the figure skater in competition we hear the audience shreik out with delight. Its what we hear with the rifle tosses and catches now with WGI/DCI audiences now too. It does get to be a bit much, but on the other hand, to hear audiences engaged in shows, seems to me far better than hearing little from audiences during the performance and then just golf claps at the end for Corps in performance.

You're right and agree it beats golf claps. I do think DCI has always had the screamers, as another poster said those air horns were obnoxious in the 80s . AS well as a lone parent who had a tradition of yelling out some sheek at every show their son was in ( horn line ). 

I'm not offended by the audience doing this but staff would be another story. I have to admit when younger I guess I was a bit of a screamer also ( just a bit ..lol ) but I can say now I'm embarrassed I did that. If as a staff person I scream every time a guard catch was made NOW I would think " why are you screaming? don't they usually catch?..lol)

35 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I might even bring a two year old too, so those around me can smell what he ate earlier. Enjoy ticket holders this ones for you. 

Wasn't that last year at prelims, seen that crew come down the isle past me in row 7. Said to my wife watch them go sit by Jim & Jim sure enough right behind them I think. Was fun latter on over a few beers listening you describe the smell, priceless. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Upon careful consideration, after reading this entire thread, I just want to say 

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

So....they made the catch? :whistle:

And kudos on this year's show title mashup sentence...

28 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Wasn't that last year at prelims, seen that crew come down the isle past me in row 7. Said to my wife watch them go sit by Jim & Jim sure enough right behind them I think. Was fun latter on over a few beers listening you describe the smell, priceless. 

They say it’s takes a village. Took care of the problem. Two of our friends will be sitting behind us all three days in Indy. Hopefully they can hold their mud. 

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

oh lord. I assumed you missed the opening of BD's show this year - when the guard is spread 0 to 0 with the brass players and they power  right out o f the gate spinning, playing and marching at north of 200 bpm  with insane demand and exposure? 

just because  they work to make something "look easy" doesn't mean it isn't difficult 

And  the 1990  comment - what an odd choice in a year to pick. 1990 Cadets had a ton of simultaneous demand (the most?) and WON. 93 Cadets - similar story. 94 BD similar. 91 Star similar. So the 1990 date is why exactly?

Preach George preach!!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was sitting there marveling over how lovely Boston’s ballad was last night and over my shoulder was screaming so shriek that I visibly flinched.  Even turned around and gave them the stink eye. Didn’t care.  Kept screaming. 

The stink eye doesn’t work with millenials!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, pistolpete said:

The stink eye doesn’t work with millenials!

As a certified left hand, middle finger, knuckle coach, I assure you, that after a few minutes of counciltation and direction, I can get you positive results.

• Like 1