Olathe, KS - July 16, 2018

3 hours ago, crownisking said:

Judges for tonight’s contest.

UgLfZ7H.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Ahh. Thanks for this.

• Like 1

I just got back from the show.  There was a nice crowd on hand.  There was one section that was pretty empty.  Perhaps a bus of students didn't make it to the show.  This is a great location to host a show.  My only complaint was drumlins warming up near the stadium during Colt Cadets performance.  

Colt Cadets:  There are some young marchers in this group.  They seemed to have a fuller sound than in previous years.  

Pacific Crest:  They have a good balanced and full sound.  The horns really sell this show!  There were a few holes, perhaps due to the recent bus accident.

Oregon Crusaders:  This doesn't appear to be a full-size corps.  I did notice holes tonight.  They have an interesting pre-show.  I did like the last 1/2 of the show much better than the earlier portion.  Parts of it didn't seem to flow well in my opinion.

Mandarins: They were marching 5 holes tonight.  There were a few drops in the guard tonight, but I think that was due to the wind.  This was a HUGE step up from the previous corps.  This show is purely entertainment.  The member on stilts carrying a color changing lighted box during "True Colors" was interesting.  I have never seen lighted rifles before and they were a neat effect on the field.  This was my favorite show of the night for being entertained.

Blue Stars:  The horns had great balance and blend as well as a full sound.  The foot work by the horns was effective.  I thought there marching technique was better tonight than what I saw previously.  They had a very difficult guard book.  The rifle work with the benches and using all sabres at one time was great.

Boston Crusaders:  This is one confident corps!  They keep your attention throughout their performance.  Rifles were tossing quints all of the time.  The trees spelled out "lost" and then the corps spelled out "found" at the end of the show when they went to the ground.  There is a lot happening in this show.  

Bluecoats:  I really like how they used the large chairs on the field.  They put out a big sound.  My only suggestion would be to have the guard do more equipment work at one point in the show.  They start off the show without equipment and then don't use any equipment during a couple other parts of the show.  They do dance well; however, I would prefer use of some type of equipment in one other part.

Colts:  I was pleasantly surprised by this show.  I have seen this show on video, but I got a totally different feeling viewing the show live.  There is an excellent soloist (singing - pre-recorded?) in the beginning of the show.  They also put out a big sound and have some effective hits.  The high stepping was neat.  At first I thought the panels were lighted when the raised the beds, but then realized the aren't lighted.  They look like stained glass windows.  Flags matched the color panels.

Edited by dcikon2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GrammaCadetMello said:

Those are some INCREDIBLE clouds in this series!

Yes we were blessed with some incredible weather today for sure! One thing I don't miss about going to shows down south is the constant threat of rain. I can remember more than a few summers when it would rain just about every day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I just got back from the show.  There was a nice crowd on hand.  There was one section that was pretty empty.  Perhaps a bus of students didn't make it to the show.  This is a great location to host a show.  My only complaint was drumlins warming up near the stadium during Colt Cadets performance.  

Colt Cadets:  There are some young marchers in this group.  They seemed to have a fuller sound than in previous years.  

Pacific Crest:  They have a good balanced and full sound.  The horns really sell this show!  There were a few holes, perhaps due to the recent bus accident.

Oregon Crusaders:  This doesn't appear to be a full-size corps.  I did notice holes tonight.  They have an interesting pre-show.  I did like the last 1/2 of the show much better than the earlier portion.  Parts of it didn't seem to flow well in my opinion.

Mandarins: They were marching 5 holes tonight.  There were a few drops in the guard tonight, but I think that was due to the wind.  This was a HUGE step up from the previous corps.  This show is purely entertainment.  The member on stilts carrying a color changing lighted box during "True Colors" was interesting.  I have never seen lighted rifles before and they were a neat effect on the field.  This was my favorite show of the night for being entertained.

Blue Stars:  The horns had great balance and blend as well as a full sound.  The foot work by the horns was effective.  I thought there marching technique was better tonight than what I saw previously.  They had a very difficult guard book.  The rifle work with the benches and using all sabres at one time was great.

Boston Crusaders:  This is one confident corps!  They keep your attention throughout their performance.  Rifles were tossing quints all of the time.  The trees spelled out "lost" and then the corps spelled out "found" at the end of the show when they went to the ground.  There is a lot happening in this show.  

Bluecoats:  I really like how they used the large chairs on the field.  They put out a big sound.  My only suggestion would be to have the guard do more equipment work at one point in the show.  They start off the show without equipment and then don't use any equipment during a couple other parts of the show.  They do dance well; however, I would prefer use of some type of equipment in one other part.

Colts:  I was pleasantly surprised by this show.  I have seen this show on video, but I got a totally different feeling viewing the show live.  There is an excellent soloist (singing - pre-recorded?) in the beginning of the show.  They also put out a big sound and have some effective hits.  The high stepping was neat.  At first I thought the panels were lighted when the raised the beds, but then realized the aren't lighted.  They look like stained glass windows.  Flags matched the color panels.

PC didn't have the bus accident; that was OC. There has been the usual tour flu going around. Hoping all recover soon!

33 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Wow - 5 holes? Hopefully they are able to have a full corps by the time San Antonio rolls around. 

24 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

PC didn't have the bus accident; that was OC. There has been the usual tour flu going around. Hoping all recover soon!

Didn't hear about this bus accident. I hope everyone is okay. 

11 minutes ago, DCIdad said:

Didn't hear about this bus accident. I hope everyone is okay. 

That was on another thread. As I heard, the whole caravan had to stop quickly and the guard bus bumped into the brass bus. I didn't hear of any serious injuries, but of course a lot of folks were shaken up. I think BK helped out with transportation. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, luv4corps said:

OC could use some love, prayers, positive thoughts, whatever you do best.  On the way to the Denver show they had an accident.  The color guard bus rear ended the brass bus due to a sudden stop the entire fleet needed to make.  I don't know all the details but I know some performers were not in the show last night because of this accident.  There were minor injuries as well as shock reactions and at least one other corps stepped up after the show to assist in getting OC to their next housing site.  

I believe everyone is all right but I have to give them a big thumbs up for performing as if nothing happened last night!  I didn't know any of this until today.

Also, I have searched three times for the Oregon Crusaders 2018 thread and can't find it so I posted here.

From the DATR thread. 

• Like 1