DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Not in this show it doesn't. Not at ALL at a show like this. Not at all when you are performing amongst your peers. All of you who are getting worked up about performance order are being silly. It's been proven that this has no impact on results. Not at big shows like this were eveyrone is performing.

I have zero doubt Mandarins and Blue Knights are going to beat Academy, even though Acadmeny is performing after them.

I have zero doubt BK is going to beat Regiment, even though BK performs an hour before them.

I have zero doubt Cadets are going to beat Blue Stars, even though they perform before them.

I have zero doubt Colts are going to beat Pacific Crest, even though they perform before them.

I have zero doubt Madison and Spirit are going to beat Troopers even though they perform before them.

I have zero doubt that if Mandarins deserve to beat Regiment they will, even though Regiment peforms 90 minutes after them.

These judges are professionals. They know what they are doing. 

Then why is the order jumbled in groups of 3?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

I definitely think show order makes a difference, but the extent of that difference becomes amplified during championship and is minimal during the first couple regionals. 

During championship week, corps are performing very close to the 20.0 “cap” that is placed on scoring for a caption. Judges have to play the numbers management game and so they are much less likely to attribute high scores to a corps that is on much earlier. For example, I bet you Crown would not have scored a perfect 20.0 in brass in 2013 if they had not gone on last

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, karuna said:

As Cappybara said, it helps assist judges with numbers management. It is also beneficial to the corps themselves. If you were sitting around 15th place, would you really want to be sandwiched between BD and SCV? No, it is more beneficial for you to be within your peer group in the line up, and compared to your peers, not the top 2 corps. 

It's just silly to think a corps is going to get screwed in placement because of performance order. That is not going to happen. Again, Madison beat six corps that performed after them at SA in 2015, and by a sizeable margin over the next closest scoring corps.

And lastly, plus it's better for the audiences viewing. The excitement builds as the lineup is approaching corps like Crown, Bloo, BD, and SCV. I like that the quality of the performances generally increases as the night goes on.

Edited by queenanne_1536

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

As Cappybara said, it helps assist judges with numbers management. It is also beneficial to the corps themselves. If you were sitting around 15th place, would you really want to be sandwiched between BD and SCV? No, it is more beneficial for you to be within your peer group in the line up, and compared to your peers, not the top 2 corps. 

It's just silly to think a corps is going to get screwed in placement because of performance order. That is not going to happen. Again, Madison beat six corps that performed after them at SA in 2015, and by a sizeable margin over the next closest scoring corps.

And lastly, plus it's better for the audiences viewing. The excitement builds as the lineup is approaching corps like Crown, Bloo, BD, and SCV. I like that the quality of the performances generally increases as the night goes on.

Well, I’m half agreeing with you and half with Karuna. 

I agree that for San Antonio and probably even atlanta, the show order will not make a huge difference. However, I do agree with Karuna in that I think it makes a pretty difference the closer you get to the end of the season. 

I think that ultimately the judges get the placements right regardless of performance order, but that the spreads between said corps is highly variable depending on performance order

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I agree that for San Antonio and probably even atlanta, the show order will not make a huge difference. However, I do agree with Karuna in that I think it makes a pretty difference the closer you get to the end of the season. 

I think that ultimately the judges get the placements right regardless of performance order, but that the spreads between said corps is highly variable depending on performance order

It makes a pretty big difference the closer you get to the end of the season yet the judges get the placements right? That seems contridictory. I can't think of one single time that I've thought someone got screwed placement wise by performance order. 

53 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It makes a pretty big difference the closer you get to the end of the season yet the judges get the placements right? That seems contridictory. I can't think of one single time that I've thought someone got screwed placement wise by performance order. 

It makes a difference in the spreads but not necessarily the placements.

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It makes a difference in the spreads but not necessarily the placements.

Agree there. It's obvious by the fact that scores drop for 8-12 every year in finals. Placements are more important than spreads though - at least getting them right.

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Wait.  So they jumble the order so the audience and the corps aren’t bored?  Right   Thanks for clearing that up.  :crazy:

Edited by karuna

24 minutes ago, karuna said:

Wait.  So they jumble the order so the audience and the corps aren’t bored?  Right   Thanks for clearing that up.  :crazy:

Good grief. I neve said bored. I said it's more exciting as the caliber of corps gets better and better. 

Edited by queenanne_1536