DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

11 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Good grief. I neve said bored. I said it's more exciting as the caliber of corps gets better and better. 

More exciting is less boring. It’s exactly what you said.   Do you know who decided to jumble the order?   Perhaps they had something to say about why they did it. It wasn’t always that way. 

Edited by karuna

24 minutes ago, karuna said:

More exciting is less boring. It’s exactly what you said.   Do you know who decided to jumble the order?   Perhaps they had something to say about why they did it. It wasn’t always that way. 

Ok, I see why you think that, so I'll go further. For ME, it is more exciting from a competitive standpoint as the corps get better because it's easier to compare them when they are back-to-back-to-back and trying to figure out who is going to win. It's exciting for me to see them all in one group rather than spread out. It's more exciting as a whole for that reason (easier to compare the lower placing corps). But, yes, from a competitive standpoint I'm more interested in who's going to win out of the top corps.

This season, from an entertainment standpoint, my favorite shows are Vanguard, Blue Stars, BAC, Cavaliers, BD and Mandarins. In that order. So while I love all those shows, only SCV and BD are really exciting to me from a competetive standpoint. Now if Blue Stars place 7th at finals, I will be doing cartwheels down the street, but I expect them to be 8th or 9th - so not as exciting competitively when someone finishes right where you expect them (unless it's SCV and they win).

I don't know when the unjumbling went down. When I marched in the late 80s it was all a draw. So you might have seen Pioneer wedged between BD and SCV in quarterfinals (semifinals pre-89). I think the G7 wanted the groups of 3 so they would perform amongst their peers and perform later, but I'm not sure.

Edited by queenanne_1536

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

All this talk of bad draws is silly. The judges are fully capable a placing a corps incorrectly regardless of the draw. Most corps will be performing amongst their peers. In 2015, at San Antonio, Madison beat 6 corps that performed after them, and pretty solidly at that.

Slight edit :)

Lightly packed and ready to travel tomorrow!! Excited for my 4th SA trip! 6 Indy  pilgrimages, and 2 for BOA.  Will do BOA again but (never say never) ‘18 is my last Indy DCI. I said that  in ‘16 (...we shall see). BOA is a quick in and out Pre-Thanksgiving treat!  The snow was a novelty that this Cali guy enjoyed and we don’t do band “indoors” in California. Sorry I’m State  Fair, bbq and Speedway’d out! I seek out housing/practice sites and thoroughly enjoy watching the home stretch process. 4 kids from our program, 3 with BD!    Rotate Finals again! Love making a vacation week culminating in Finals.  My first finals in 1986, with a return years later because it’s Madison...loved I&E’s  here! So green and a lake in town?!? Kansas City, the stadium on the hill I couldn’t find. No GPS! Buffalo “oops I did it again!” Who goes to Buffalo twice! ME!!   Phantom of the Opera was the highlight of my DCI travels!  Red eye flight, ahh to be young again!  Real Buffalo wings at a dive bar and the falls... Foxboro- Stadium tour and Beantown was Magic!!  3 trips to Orlando and MaGiC!!! Expensive but Disney! Miss “Spirit of Disney”- is Citrus Bowl still standing?  “New York, New York” memories from College Park 2000...Pasadena- in my backyard and soooo California Classic!!  2000’s Memories Traveling with 6 other “fan”astic folks...and my hype... years of wearing every finalist performers shirts  as they performed. (They still fit)! Wow....l  digress:inlove: ....ahhh thank you DCI, and the activity I love...Bring on the screaming Texas bandos!!

Edited by whitedj2002
  • Like 4

Usually $10  fills up fast though

Edited by CUDAKITE
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Oh, do elaborate.... :)

Quote "sometimes judging is just a (motions a flip of a coin) and thats just the way it is ". 

Gene Monterastelli  (2007)

:)

Edited by Triple Forte

2 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Hey how much money does it cost for me to park at the stadium tomorrow?

If it’s full you may have to drive around and park downtown and walk to Stadium. We’ve had to do that the past 2 years. There is an Apt complex across the highway that we’ve found parking and not too far of a walk. Ended up not having to pay for parking by just parking on the street and walking. This year I’m having my daughter drop us off and pick us up as my Mom will be with me and she’s not up to hikes through the heat. Good luck!!! Hope you find something close.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Thanks 1