DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

2 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I said from the very beginning that I want the Blue Stars to place as high as possible and I was also very critical of lot of things...especially their guard. I even thought the corps might be in danger of falling out of finals this year. The corps has improved dramatically during the past couple of weeks and have proved me wrong; which I'm extremely happy about. There is still plenty of time left for them to keep climbing the middle tier and max the show out. With that being said, my Sunday dinner will be a plate of crow and some humble pie for dessert. :thumbup:

All in good fun :smile:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cfmninjaa said:

BTW I think the run for gold is over bloo and BD are running for silver abd then there's everyone else (not to take away anything from any corps but thats the way I'm seeing it)

posted from the DrumScorps app

I don't think a 1.35 point spread here at the 1st Regionals on July 21st means its " over " at all. Plenty of Corps have made up 1.35 spreads ( and more ) from July 21st to Finals Night over the years... the Blue Devils themselves have done so. That said, SCV seems strong in all captions with no caption weakness that stands out for them at the moment. So they are definately in the drivers seat now, and were very, very impressive tonite, imo... But its not " over " when its July 21st, and its a spread of less than a point and a half.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blasian62 said:

So from what I've seen from only videos, Bloo is phasing a lot in Saro with all of the eighth note repeating phrases in the baris and trumpets, which I'm sure is really difficult to get right with the distances on the field and everything. The best time at a show seems to have been at Orlando, and the trumpet eighths still got slow after the big hit. Does it sound as bad live? I'm sure they can bump up their score by cleaning this up a lot more.

According to someone, there was no noticeable phasing tonight 

37 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When’s the last time a corps not named the Blue Devils had a 1+ point lead over the course of a season?

Didn’t Down Side Up lead wire to wire?

12 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I agree with scoring being based on how much you beat your competition by, but it's still reasonable to compare shows across time, and numbers are a reasonable way of doing that.

I still think a show like, for example, Cadets 2011, 2005, 2000, 1998, and yes, even as far back as 1993 (Cadets, OR Star, if you're one of those who thought they should have won), could still win, and is still a better product than anything we have from this year. Those kinds of visual programs (maybe even music) are still far superior to what I saw out of the top 4 corps tonight, and the scores should reflect as such. 

I think that if you took a time machine and brought the finals performances back, I think people would recognize the confidence, competence and communication of the shows. But the technical range of the performers, both musically and visually,  is so much higher these days. 

I look especially at what the guards are doing and it's just not comparable.

Hornlines double and even triple tongue at the drop of a hat. I remember when Cavies sopranos double tongued in 92 and it was rare. And it wasn't even that good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Not at all. Bluecoats lost 4 contests that season and most of the contests they won, they won by less than 0.5

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

According to someone, there was no noticeable phasing tonight 

I don't know if i'm allowed to link the youtube videos but the baris seem to come in slightly late on their eighth notes and it slows it a little bit.

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Not undefeated to BD or Crown that season, and I don’t think by over a point always pretty close.

2 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Makes me wonder, what exactly is being judged visually? Is it drill design balanced with props balanced with body movement?

I had a feeling you'd respond to that. Those were only examples :P  Good examples, though.

Well I think a visual program needs to tell a story, it needs to be engaging, show off a number of skills (hitting your dots in both block, line and curvilinear formation), needs to keep ones interest intact. SCV hides underneath cages far too much. They do too many blocks. Same with Bloo. To me, visual is all about the drill. 

With SCV and Bloo tonight especially, there were hardly any impact sets that came out of nowhere. It was all very generic and basic drill. Props don't count as visual product. They're just enhancements to add to the visual product. If you don't have a drill, then what good is a prop? What good is ketchup without a hot dog? Props don't tell the story, the drill does. It's all about the drill. Not the uniforms (or costumes), not the props, but the drill. And the guard exists to fill in the field with color and emotion, to the extent that the brass and percussion cannot. That's why they exist. The drill exists to get the point across in a visual medium. That is why drill exists. 

If they want to change the game, and have props tell the story instead of the drill, then they better be darn good with it. But you CANNOT replace drill with props and expect to get your point across if all you do is hide under them, and move them around the field randomly. Okay, I'm too busy watching everything else to focus on what you're doing with cages, where they were, where they're likely to be, and why they're here and then there. I'm too busy to figure out what you're doing with it all. 

I think this is a problem "dinosaurs" have with modern day drum corps programs. There is just too much going on. I want to see good marching. Plain and simple. 

I hope Sactig opens up a school to train people who to write competent drill. If he doesn't, his brain needs to be kept in a glass jar after he dies and hooked to a computer so that it can continue to put out.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I said from the very beginning that I want the Blue Stars to place as high as possible and I was also very critical of lot of things...especially their guard. I even thought the corps might be in danger of falling out of finals this year. The corps has improved dramatically during the past couple of weeks and have proved me wrong; which I'm extremely happy about. There is still plenty of time left for them to keep climbing the middle tier and max the show out. With that being said, my Sunday dinner will be a plate of crow and some humble pie for dessert. :thumbup:

No offense at all, but you thought this? Stars guard always has the most exposed work so naturally is very dirty early season every year more than most.