DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

5 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

That guard caption is interesting

I think it is spot on. And glad judge judged it as he saw:

BD super clean but much less complex book than those above

Boston super book and achieve quite well

BS one of the hardest books and starting to achieve 

BK weak guard and I called it earlier when I said I didn’t think their guard would be top 12 (they placed 13th)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Glad I could help

giphy.gif

Dodgeball 

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

tell Bluecoats 14 or BD Ink

Ink made a change in the ballad and while they did change the closer for the better, I wouldn’t exactly call it anything special. The ending to Tilt was already getting great responses from the fans in June. Yes the eventual ending got an even bigger response but it didn’t shoot them up the standings. They were already in the top 3 by that point. The only two endings I can think of that really made a huge difference were 2008 Phantom and 2015 Crown. In 2008, Phantom was around 2.5 points back of BD in 1st at this same point in the season. Come Allentown, they were less than 0.1 away from first. Even in 2015, Crown was already in 3rd-4th battling with Bluecoats but during this week in 2015 it turned into a 2 point lead with Crown moving up into 1st overall.

So two shows in around 250 total shows over the last 10 years. It’s a rarity for sure...

SCV keeping their real ending in their back pocket is simply going to be icing on the cake.  The design is great enough that all we are seeing are small tweaks filling the gaps between momentary lulls.  Owning GE and being 1-2 in almost all subcaptions is a nice position to be in.

No matter how good they are by Indy I do not think we will see a 99...field is too strong.  The few times we have seen a 99 there is usually a very clear separation from the field.

4 minutes ago, Sideways said:

SCV keeping their real ending in their back pocket is simply going to be icing on the cake.  The design is great enough that all we are seeing are small tweaks filling the gaps between momentary lulls.  Owning GE and being 1-2 in almost all subcaptions is a nice position to be in.

No matter how good they are by Indy I do not think we will see a 99...field is too strong.  The few times we have seen a 99 there is usually a very clear separation from the field.

keeping the "real ending" in the back pocket can be a competitive advantage - or it can be a Crown 2016 Relentless situation

there is a risk, however small

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I am trying to find out history on The Cadets, who their drill designer was over the years, and I don't know if Sactig wrote 1993, I don't think he did, and I know Zingali wasn't there at the time. Was it Sylvester? I also remember reading some kind of interview with Sactig where he mentioned 1998 was his favorite drill design to create. 

I think moving to Crown really took him out of his element. It's literally like trying to do the same things you did at your old job, at a new company. I wonder if he is finding it challenging to create something special with Crown, having been with another system for so long. 

Zingali was with Star in 91 and then passed away - he was back and forth with Cadets from 87/88 and gone again (to Star and others) in 89

Sylvester wrote 90/91/92/93/94 - 90 and 92 were my personal favorites of those

Sacktig marched Cadets in 88 - then taught there - 98/00/07/11/15 were notables IMO

He first wrote the drill in 95 - assisting Marc in the few years prior

His last Cadets drill was 2015

Edited by George Dixon
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

you just won't stop

Cadets are in 7th - that is 3 competitive places away from 4th

It's not like they are 25th. Or at risk of not making finals...

I'd say with smart moves etc they are 2-3 seasons from being competitive for gold again - in the long (& very proud) history of the Cadets that is a BLIP in time - not a "long" time

With the off season "events" just 1 month prior to spring training (& days prior to their final camp) the corps / organization could have just folded and the Cadets could have vanished into thin air

Instead they are fielding a highly competitive (and fun) show & the members are having a terrific summer

This is the result of proud members & a VERY dedicated team of volunteers and other adults

Instead of constantly poo-pooing them - perhaps they deserve our admiration and support

As far as Jeff & Crown - he seems happy, but I have no way of knowing, and I doubt you do either. Jeff returning to Cadets would be interesting, but it in no way limits Cadets potential moving forward. Frankly he was there a long long time, and sometimes a change does everyone good.

For the Cadets moving forward, the sky is quite literally the limit now that actual professionals and adults are in place

I think 777hornman's real name is M. Anderson.:mat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, wilme861 said:

Ink made a change in the ballad and while they did change the closer for the better, I wouldn’t exactly call it anything special. 

I think that may be a bit of an understatement. The ending of Ink caught many off guard, got a huge crowd response, and was a huge sentimental coup for a corps not usually known for its sentimentality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3