DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Zingali did the 89' Les Miserables drill?

Zingali was on tour for part of the time for Les Miserables.  I remember him being with the corps in the Midwest at that time.

FWIW, it was a great day of drum corps yesterday. Good performances, good suspense at different moments during the scores announcements.

San Antonio is a fine place for this. The crowd around me was mostly good. (A lot of disruptions at starts because of staff members grabbing seats, but it wasn’t awful.) And there were good conversations. Plus, great food, drink, and more drum corps conversations afterward. Thanks to the Cadets, SCV, and Cavies travelers for making it a good evening.

Biggest surprise: I liked Crown a lot after not so much the night before. Biggest disappointment: Madison. Not on the performance, which I thought was very good. The crowd liked it. But too bad on the scores.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Yes, you are grouchy boy wonder. The marching arts is just that...art! Art has to evolve and grow rather than remainin stagnant. What you are seeing in shows today is reflective of that growth. 

How much do you know about Babylon, Session 44, Or Unity? When you understand the story...the art makes more sense. Today’s audience doesn’t want to see an entire Corps march to a dot as they count 5,6,7,8. So yes, the performances have evolved. The singer with Bloo, costume changes with Cavies, and the Mandies giant spinning stage. 

And like the people around me, I was awed by that Corp member from SCV flipping down the field. A musician AND acrobat? Probably was never in your skill-set I’m guessing.

Well done and richly deserved for all the corps in San Antonio. From what I saw and read...the best Southwestern Regional in a long while! Can’t wait for Atlanta, Allentown and Indy! 

I didn't necessarily have a problem with the backflips. I thought it was neat and a job very well done. No it's not in my skill set. But I can still do a cartwheel without breaking anything. I just don't know what it added to the point they were trying to make. It was just "there". 

I did like the spinning props with Mandarins and Boston. I liked the uniform change in the Cavs show. Those didn't bother me. Excessive singing does. The singing in the Bluecoats show didn't bother me. It really set the mood and enhanced the point they were trying to make with their show. 

I put the all time great shows (works of art) of the past on a pedestal, much the way pieces of music like Beethoven's great symphonies or Van Gogh's Starry Night etc are clamored over today as the pinnacles of human art, and this I compare today to yesterday. 

To me, Cadets 1993 and also Star 1993 and 1991 also are on par with Beethoven's 9th in terms of artwork.

Funny how I enjoyed the Rite of Spring arrangements I heard last night.

Just watch the first 1.6 minutes of Cadets 1993. The drill matched the music. It told the music in a visual medium. You could feel what were doing musically by watching them, even if you were deaf.

It's brilliant.

We don't see much of this nowadays.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

3 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Zingali was on tour for part of the time for Les Miserables.  I remember him being with the corps in the Midwest at that time.

I've always been under the impression that he helped over the winter and a couple times during that season but Marc was the lead writer... I know 90 was all Marc and Zingali was back FT at Star. He also wrote for Denver I believe those 3 years...

Thoughts after looking at the recaps for SCV: Based on their performance achievement and content of each caption, not only do I think that 99 is probable for finals, but 99.625 is doable. No weaknesses. All they’ve got to do is clean, clean, clean.  Earlier this year, I didn’t think anyone could beat the Bluecoats. But now, SCV is clearly in the driver’s seat. Incredible year or Vanguard.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, DCIDADDIO said:

And like the people around me, I was awed by that Corp member from SCV flipping down the field. A musician AND acrobat? Probably was never in your skill-set I’m guessing.

Heck, my skill set virtually doubled when I drew an “L” and “R” on the tops of my shoes with a Sharpie pen. Things really picked up when I finally figured out how to blow a horn; thankfully the staff was fairly patient about that, plus their visuals helped (“CUT!!! No, no, NO!! One more time: AIR goes in THIS end, SOUND comes out THAT end!!”) 

Edited by TRacer
Type Ohs
  • Haha 2

Hey Texans- is the traffic from San Antonio to Austin always awful on a Sunday? This is crazy.  

2 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

Hey Texans- is the traffic from San Antonio to Austin always awful on a Sunday? This is crazy.  

Traffic in that area is crazy almost 24/7. From San Antonio all the way to DFW.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Could a healthy Academy knock off Crossmen?

Yes. 

Remember 1979.  At this time in season Crossmen were in 6th, Troopers in 15th.  By final day of prelims (as they were called then) Crossmen were 10-12th, Troopers 13th.  Troopers went on and had the performance of their lives.  Crossmen's performance was rather flat.

Crossmen had beaten Troopers something like 8 times that season; Troopers beat Crossmen only once - When it counted.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2