DCI Southwestern Regional - July 21, 2018

17 minutes ago, afd said:

They will go unbeaten and the real competition is from 2-4th. Yes...SCV is just that much better. And they deserve it.

They may earn a championship, but to me, no one deserves one.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Has anyone else noticed that we have now had 4 completely different winners of the Southwestern Championship over the past 4 years? Cadets, Bluecoats, BD and SCV. I find this very interesting, perhaps also a testament to how much more competitive the upper echelon has been compared to the past.

Exactly right. People seem to forget that these top corps are so good now that a finish in 6th seems like a disappointing season but in this year, 6th place would have been a medalist just 5 years ago if not less. Just another example with Madison being down as low as they are in the placements. Granted their show isn't the best show they've had in recent years but they are still a great group that would probably be around that 12th place spot in the past but have dropped down. The big names in DCI have to move down if other corps are ever going to challenge for their spots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Umm... not exactly correct. Crossmen did not have a flat performance. There was an interesting call by one judge that dropped then in a caption they never had an issue with all year. It was enough to cost the finals. Also the only year of the "associates championship" (those not making finals). The Crossmen score had them good enough for 8th on finals night in 1979. Anyone with the Crossmen at the time knows this fact.

I know this is still a sensitive issue w/ Crossmen.

Admittedly, I know the story from a Trooper-centric perspective.  They did by far the best run of their season that day.

Concerning the associates championship - yes Crossmen won it by like 8 points.  

However, my original thesis was that Academy, as well as several other Corps in the 13-15 (or maybe 16) range can make the Saturday show.   The key is to leave it all on the field Friday.

2 hours ago, afd said:

Yeah...I see what you are saying. But it today's DCI...they have all the goods. And I disagree. They deserve it.

They will deserve it IF they earn it. 

#allsemanticsmatter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

World

19.  70.500 Music City -- MOVED FROM OPEN CLASS IN 2018

20.  69.813 Oregon Crusaders -- MOVED FROM OPEN CLASS IN 2013

21.  67.950 Genesis -- MOVED FROM OPEN CLASS IN 2017

I remember seeing all these corps at Open Class Finals in 2012, when Oregon Crusaders won.

That year, Genesis was in sixth place and 9.75 pts. behind Oregon.

And Music City was in eight place and 11.40 pts. behind Oregon.

23 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

World 

19.  70.500 Music City

20.  69.813 Oregon Crusaders

21.  67.950 Genesis 

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I remember seeing all these corps at Open Class Finals in 2012, when Oregon Crusaders won.

That year, Genesis was in sixth place and 9.75 pts. behind Oregon.

And Music City was in eight place and 11.40 pts. behind Oregon.

Maybe The Battalion can become part of this mix in the near future.