Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

Just now, Cadevilina Crown said:

Annual reminder to always take TOC judging with a grain of salt.

I hear this year after year... But I honestly don't see the discrepancies.  Things shift around, but I don't think the venue/panels have as much to do with it as do the close margins and competitive instability does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Oh yeag! It's a good place for them.overall seeing the work to get done.. these spreads means they have surely been improving more and more, lets hope they work out the music caption and clean it, and beef up the general effect. Visuals is already in the bag not going anywhere.

I wouldn't say anything is in the bag. BD isn't incredibly far ahead in visual. Neither is SCV super ahead in music. It's gonna be very close for the next few weeks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Annual reminder to always take TOC judging with a grain of salt.

Dang. We normally hear that when BD wins lol. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What bodes very well for SCV vs BD/Bloo is they were top 2 in every single caption. BD had a lot of 3s, as did Bloo, but Bloo also had some 4s. I think this is the start of SCV's run to the championship with BD right behind.

When you add Crown to the mix, some of BDs 3s can turn into 4s and some of Bloos 3s to 4s and 4s to 5s. Crown may take down SCV in brass, but I'm not sure about any other captions.

Such a fun season.

Your logic appeals to me and my beloved SCV!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Looking at the recap I'm really liking where BD is at. They have the most captions with large spreads between Content and Achievement, including a huge GE1 gap (0.5) and Visual Analysis Gap (0.45). My only real concern is brass, hopefully the staff has plans to clean that up and beef up their book a little as they've been lagging in that caption most of the season. 

Yes, but if you go look at recaps from past seasons the spreads between content and achievement all the time. SCV had like a 0.5 gap in VP between content and achievement in Denver 8.9 to 8.4) the other night. I like where BD is at because they are BD and just always so #### good. 

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What bodes very well for SCV vs BD/Bloo is they were top 2 in every single caption. BD had a lot of 3s, as did Bloo, but Bloo also had some 4s. I think this is the start of SCV's run to the championship with BD right behind.

When you add Crown to the mix, some of BDs 3s can turn into 4s and some of Bloos 3s to 4s and 4s to 5s. Crown may take down SCV in brass, but I'm not sure about any other captions.

Such a fun season.

Yep.  The math is a different story for each of those three.  And adding another group that is competitive in certain captions changes the calculation... especially in the very close categories where 1's and 4's can change night to night (brass).

I used to always be a nay-sayer about TOC competitions because they genuinely used to have some odd results, but the past couple years I've actually noticed that there isn't much of a discrepancy anymore so it seems like something did change in the way they are judged. 

• Like 1

I'm think Bloo needs to head out west first tour next year. Two years in a row they were undefeated and immediately knocked to 3rd when BD and SCV came east. It might do them well to meet these two head on from the get go.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

I thought they use the same sheets now?

I thought the did as well. But nothing in recent past was much different TOC vs non-TOC. There is nothing surprising about these scores at all. 

• Like 1