Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

44 minutes ago, quietcity said:

But it is not all in jest. Cavaliers are quite knowingly engaged in social commentary. This kind of satire will inevitably rub some the wrong way and as such, I find it rather daring of the Cavies. They are willing to challenge and even alienate some in the audience in order to express a particular point of view.  This is the nature of art, and one of the reasons I admire Cavies so much, regardless of their placement. 

Vincible Ignorance-A lack of knowledge for which a person is morally responsible. I am not going to allow myself to believe that, though the Cavaliers are making a legitimate statement at the end of their show, that they are not, at the same time, being blatantly hypocritical in their continued refusal to not allow young woman into their Corps. Please forgive me if I am wrong but this is the case isn't it? That the Cavaliers do not allow young woman into their Corps? I believe that little fact does detract somewhat from their ending "statement" in this years show. So the question is....exactly who are the ones who are being closed minded? Their certainly are a lot of closed minded people in this world! Their are also many people who pride themselves in being open minded who are, in fact, not being as open minded as they would like to think that they are. It is amazing what the human mind can choose to ignore and what it chooses to believe when it comes down to what it believes could be a threat to their self or at least a threat to their continued acceptance into their community which, in this case, is that small world we refer to as Drum and Bugle Corps. I marched in a corps back in the '70's and we were criticized for not allowing young woman into our Brass and Percussion sections and rightly so! Our young Women were criticized for not allowing young men into our Color Guard and, again, rightly so!

I am sure that I will be criticized for bringing up a topic that has already been debated ad nauseum but I believe that the "statement" being made at the end of the Cavaliers show requires a bit more nausea. Shouldn't they be the ones who are criticized for making us sick? Sick and tired and defensive and hypocritical....or am I just being closed minded. I'll answer my own question....absolutely not. I'm just exposing an inconvenient truth. So my question to you is....do you believe in global warming? 

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

No.  He’s just being obtuse.  Which is nothing new on here. 

Because the logical conclusion to come to because you don’t like screaming in your ear for hours, is that you’re a homophobe. 

Actually I was speaking to a principle that was obviously lost on you. And my reference to screaming was secondary to the point I conveyed.   Your conclusion is your own!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bsader said:

Vincible Ignorance-A lack of knowledge for which a person is morally responsible. I am not going to allow myself to believe that, though the Cavaliers are making a legitimate statement at the end of their show, that they are not, at the same time, being blatantly hypocritical in their continued refusal to not allow young woman into their Corps. Please forgive me if I am wrong but this is the case isn't it? That the Cavaliers do not allow young woman into their Corps? I believe that little fact does detract somewhat from their ending "statement" in this years show. So the question is....exactly who are the ones who are being closed minded? Their certainly are a lot of closed minded people in this world! Their are also many people who pride themselves in being open minded who are, in fact, not being as open minded as they would like to think that they are. It is amazing what the human mind can choose to ignore and what it chooses to believe when it comes down to what it believes could be a threat to their self or at least a threat to their continued acceptance into their community which, in this case, is that small world we refer to as Drum and Bugle Corps. I marched in a corps back in the '70's and we were criticized for not allowing young woman into our Brass and Percussion sections and rightly so! Our young Women were criticized for not allowing young men into our Color Guard and, again, rightly so!

I am sure that I will be criticized for bringing up a topic that has already been debated ad nauseum but I believe that the "statement" being made at the end of the Cavaliers show requires a bit more nausea. Shouldn't they be the ones who are criticized for making us sick? Sick and tired and defensive and hypocritical....or am I just being closed minded. I'll answer my own question....absolutely not. I'm just exposing an inconvenient truth. So my question to you is....do you believe in global warming? 

Confused.  I get your passion about whatever it is you're saying, but can't make sense of your post.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, boxingfred said:

It did not go over well, there were groans and mumbles in my section. One father said to his son, You'll never march with that band.

Which is interesting, because that band told his daughter the same thing.  Maybe he just wants to treat them equally.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Which is interesting, because that band told his daughter the same thing.  Maybe he just wants to treat them equally.  

Touche', though I still have mixed feelings about Cavies or Madison going co-ed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bsader said:

You cannot be serious with this.

I would understand your point if this was an organization that was purposely misogynistic. It’s not. 

Just because an organization celebrates brotherhood and fraternity but also honors the feminine does not make it hypocritical. 

Because an organization with 70 years of history and successes (and continues to be successful) as an all male organization chooses to not allow women in their corps does not make them sexist.

To me this closer is witty and fun. Men read fashion magazines. Men shop. Some wear make up. We cry. A time not to long ago these things were not considered “manly”. Hell...being in “band” was not considered manly. To me this closer makes fun of the modern day man.

Reading your post, especially the last paragraph makes me incredibly sad. And no there is not an “inconvenient truth” in anything you stated.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, skevinp said:

His daughter has the opportunity to march with 22 other World Class corps. No one is taking anything away from anyone’s daughter. And I’m pretty sure that man was not worried about his daughters equality, but more his sons masculinity.

It’s interesting to me that so many are upset about this but do we see coed nfl teams? What about the nba? I’m sure there are plenty softball players that can hit a baseball, why not in the mlb? 

I could go on and on about roles/organizations/concepts in society that have gender double standards that are deemed as acceptable. Both for and against men as well as women.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

So, about that drum corps event... you know, the actual kids on the field and how they did? I realize this is DCP and tangents will be had, but how did a topic about a particular event turn into a political #### show? Start up a new thread if you want to ##### or not ##### about a corps' historical and current choices.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Harrison said:

So, about that drum corps event... you know, the actual kids on the field and how they did? I realize this is DCP and tangents will be had, but how did a topic about a particular event turn into a political #### show? Start up a new thread if you want to ##### or not ##### about a corps' historical and current choices.  

Well according to some, the drum corps show was meant to induce thoughts on such topics.  If that is true, I don't know how you can entirely separate them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1