Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ok, now explain it to me. :laughing:

As a contractor and not an employee, you pay everything -- FITW, SITW, FICA, and Medicare -- both as employer and employee.  Plus you have to provide your own health insurance. Plus estimated taxes each quarter. Sigh -- don't get me started. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Debateable, of course.. and it depends upon one's perspective I would imagine.  A compelling case can certainly be made that the Cavaliers are not " sexist ", imo. ( and perhaps by others, that perhaps they are too )  Can we all at least agree that the Cavaliers are not gender inclusive at the moment anyway ? And thats why the Cavaliers choosing to be so overtly political/ social commentary with their closer, naturally invites political/ social commentary that cuts both way, it seems to me.  It makes some people uncomfortable with this social/ political messaging. But likewise, invites the natural scrutiny of a Corps engaging in the attempt at social commentary, that ironically is nowhere near as gender inclusive as almost all H.S./ College Marching Bands are, and in which most all amateur 14-22 age  youth sports teams are, that do not exclude participants by gender. If this makes the Cavaliers Corps " uncomfortable ", in any way with the reaction they receive with this from some , then its an " uncomfortable " situation all around, I guess we'd have to conclude at the moment. I can enjoy the Cavaliers show well, and without the overtly political. But their doing so seems fine too, imo as it does ask us all... Cavaliers Drum Corps included...  as to where we stand on gender equality and gender inclusivity in actions and deeds,  and not in mere words, music, or flag wavings.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I would assume he’s referring to lesbians and bisexuals (of the female variety) who are a part of the LGBT community that he’s referring to. 

Yes. I was a bit cryptic in my post over lunch and had a very busy work afternoon...checked my phone and found a bit of a mess. Thanks for clearing that up Cappy. I really appreciate it.

By the way I'm a girl. :) 

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

I think the supportive message is great. I am also not commenting on what they should or shouldn't be doing. I just think it's somewhat contradictory to be pro LGBT when say lesbians aren't allowed in the corps. Not saying it's right or wrong just confusing.

Super busy at work so I can clarify more later.

It's all good,  I read and re-read some things.. I get your point now.  :)  

• Like 1

Okay, so my wife got back from Broken Arrow today and played the show recording for me. Ugh! What a tepid crowd on hand for that! And seemingly a little ill informed unless they were all being reverent. I went back and watched the Drums of Fire show and the difference was day vs night, big enthusiasm, applause where it was expected and deserved,  and silent contemplation at the ballad. 

There were several areas of last nights corps where I asked my wife...what did they think they were watching? You could have heard a pin drop or a mouse fart. Even my son said the crowd seemed very restrained and it was a bit off-putting. 

C’mon OK, figure it out and let these talented musicians and performers feel the love! 

Edited by DCIDADDIO

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I would assume he’s referring to lesbians and bisexuals (of the female variety) who are a part of the LGBT community that he’s referring to. 

Not to mention grandmas. How dare they be so exclusionary. 

Earlier in this thread there were some SJW terms mentioned,  not in the bad way but I want to elorbrate. I am so proud of Drum Corps and myself for feeding from the experience so not to go unhearled.

Drum Corps has been a diverse and all inclusive acitivity as far back as when the term Gay meant carefree and wimisscal every one was always accepted. That has never changed and I believe is one of the things that drawns in the youth today.

Lets put to rest that there were more corps in the 60's than today. First of all the old timers who believe this fail to forget we were the baby boomers so there should have been more corps. However in 65-66 only 30 corps showed up for the American Legion Prelims (know there were a lot that did not come), this year there are 44 showing up and the corps are three times the size. So thats my take on that, you need to show up to be counted.

Drum Corps thrived on inclusion and diversity way before our SJW's showed up to fix all this and I am real proud that they did. There is another unhearled issue Drum Corp will never be reconized for but that is for another thread. Thanks

Edited by Bluzes
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

As a contractor and not an employee, you pay everything -- FITW, SITW, FICA, and Medicare -- both as employer and employee.  Plus you have to provide your own health insurance. Plus estimated taxes each quarter. Sigh -- don't get me started. 

Technically...all yes to all the above.. 

In HIS case...it was his first introduction to the notion that you don't get to keep all the money that you earn. Since he had a clear number he was saving for ( full season dues, audition travel, etc. ) this wasn't very popular with him, as I'm sure you can imagine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Fangirl71 said:

I absolutely love the Cavaliers and many other groups. My son is marching with them, but that does not change the fact that I love the show. The very first show that I went to, I heard the moans and complaints. Hello, the show is called On Madness and Creativity. The first part of their show is them in what is supposed to look like straight jackets. The madness - the Conformity and then Breaking Free and then the burst of imagination and creativity and color. Why don't you look at it with that in mind. The bias that stops us from looking at things and people prejudice is truly madness. These kids ...every single one... work so hard, and it is about expression and artistry. I applaud them and I support them.

posted from the DrumScorps app

What strikes me odd is that after having thoroughly enjoyed the Cavies show last Sunday, it NEVER dawned on me that anyone could possibly have any gripe about this show. Anyone who has an issue with Madness and Creativity is truly maddening. This show is one of my favorites this year. The singing at the end to the Rufus Wainwright piece is incredible and heartfelt. The musicianship and show design with the changing field palate is as good as anything you'll see on a drum corps field this year.  

• Like 5