Shootout at the BA/OK Corral (Broken Arrow, OK - July 17, 2018)

1 minute ago, drumcorpsfever said:

it NEVER dawned on me that anyone could possibly have any gripe about this show.

Loved it myself and missed any SJW reference but am not shocked. Some folks today think free speech means freedom from being offended, it's one or the other can't have both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Technically...all yes to all the above.. 

In HIS case...it was his first introduction to the notion that you don't get to keep all the money that you earn. Since he had a clear number he was saving for ( full season dues, audition travel, etc. ) this wasn't very popular with him, as I'm sure you can imagine. 

Yep -- the old joke:  Who is FICA and why is he taking all my money?

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2018 at 1:59 PM, kdaddy said:

Let's start up DCI (Drum Corps Iceland).

Star of Reykjavik

Sure thing. May Move Ins :

Image result for frozen people memes

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Star of Reykjavik

The Melting Icebergs

58 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Yes. I was a bit cryptic in my post over lunch and had a very busy work afternoon...checked my phone and found a bit of a mess. Thanks for clearing that up Cappy. I really appreciate it.

By the way I'm a girl. :) 

My bad, hard to tell sometimes, sorry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCIDADDIO said:

There were several areas of last nights corps where I asked my wife...what did they think they were watching? You could have heard a pin drop or a mouse fart. Even my son said the crowd seemed very restrained and it was a bit off-putting. 

C’mon OK, figure it out and let these talented musicians and performers feel the love! 

2e9x7y.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

How? Last year, undefeated, met SCV, now #2, then met BD, now #3.

This year, undefeated, met BD, now #2, then met SCV, now #3.

Because that alone is not the full vista of evidence.

The competition leading up to the drop in placement was essentially non-existent.  This season, Bloo and Crown have been sharing most of their shows and providing a reference that lacks the false assumptions of last year.  You can see this evidenced now in the competitive nature of the score and captions among the top 3.  Bloo never really had that last year.  They were only assumed to have that.  This year they have maintained a consistent buffer in scoring over Crown through the course of several weeks... so the assumptions about their chances are proven in evidence this year.

The circumstances of this tour provide more reliable information than the circumstances of last year... in spite of the correlation of the very broad statistics that you shared.

Edited by cfirwin3

5 hours ago, mellojay84 said:

I would also like to know, as several others before me, where did you get THAT bit of info?   for someone speaking out about people "not being as open-minded as they think they are", I think you need to clarify your little declaration for us.  

Are you saying that since they are an all-male corps, and LGBT women cannot participate, that they shouldn't be making a supportive statement for the LGBT community as a whole?  

That doesn't make them "narrow"  it makes them...... supportive!  to the community, AND to their present members who might belong to that community,   It IS possible to make a statement in support of something, AND also support other things that you didn't make a public statement about..  

I think you are blending together multiple replies. I am not the one who added "that bit of info" but I am the one who spoke out about people "not being as open-minded as they think they are" which is a statement that I feel needs no clarification. Having said that, if you are choosing to be a part of a group that practices gender discrimination and you continually defend your groups right to continue to practice gender discrimination despite the fact that you are performing a show that emphasizes the importance of inclusion then you are being a hypocrite and anyone who does not recognize this, I feel, should be considered as being closed minded. 

8 hours ago, skevinp said:

I'm not sure who the "so many are upset" are re the gender-based policy, as I have not really seen any of that on this thread.  Perhaps you refer to other experiences.  I'm certainly not upset in any case and have, in the past, defended their right to set their own rules.

My purpose was not to negatively judge the Cavaliers organization, but to point out the hypocrisy of those posters saying what a travesty it would be if his son is not allowed to march with Cavaliers.  As you say, there are 22 other World Class corps.

Let's say you want to hire a caterer to cater the soiree that you are planning for that Saturday because you have been told that they are one of the best caterers in your city. If that caterer refuses to provide their services to you based on what you know to be discriminatory reasons do you think....well their are 22 other world class caters in the city that I can choose to use. If you want to join a Drum Corps that is considered to be one of the best in the entire nation but that Drum Corps refuses you based on what you know to be discriminatory practices do you think...well their are 22 other world class Drum Corps that I can choose to be a part of. My question is..shouldn't one have the same attitude in regards to the discriminatory practices of the Caterer as they have towards the discriminatory practices of a particular Drum Corps. 

For the record I never said, nor do I believe, that the Cavaliers are misogynists but I do believe they are being sexists by not allowing young women into their Corps. The practice of gender discrimination is by it's definition sexists.