Spartacus 3rd to 1st finals week, could this be a repeat year?

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

So you are saying if SCV finishes 3rd in prelims, they can't jump into 1st for finals?  :biggrin:

There are three championship shows this season.  Any of the three can win. 

Correct. This isn't over by a long shot. SCV appears to be in the drivers seat right now. Anyone counting out BD in mid July is either a hater, or they haven't been paying attention over the last 40+ years imo. This BD show has that 2015 feel to it.  And no way am i counting out Bloo. That corps from Canton has shown they can turn it on at anytime and they are very dangerous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onionhead said:

CHILLS !!!

For fun, the DCP thread for Allentown 2008 catches up with their performance (which was on Fan Network, with each video posted a few minutes after the corps' performance) somewhere around page 15. This was the very first time they killed poor Will. You can see plenty of people went nuts for the ending immediately: 

• Like 1

That is awesome, I wish I would have been a fan then.

13 hours ago, onionhead said:

Did anyone see it happening in 08 ?

I think so. After BD's undefeated season was cracked by Cavies in Allentown, that seemed to be the discussion leading into Finals since they'd been proven beatable. Phantom was already going into that season with some magic, 05/06 had started their climb (no one really seemed phase by 07), and then the magic of "Phantom's playing Spartacus again!!" (followed by high-pitched squeel!!!) added to it. Now we were looking at a magical Phantom going up against the corps they tied with for their then-only championship, and the same corps that they just so happened to have topped on Finals night just two years earlier.

I mean, everyone 'saw' it happening the same way you see how a great novel's going to end by the time you're only in the middle. I don't know if everyone knew it would happen, but the story definitely played out how we all saw it going in our heads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Correct. This isn't over by a long shot. SCV appears to be in the drivers seat right now. Anyone counting out BD in mid July is either a hater, or they haven't been paying attention over the last 40+ years imo. This BD show has that 2015 feel to it.  And no way am i counting out Bloo. That corps from Canton has shown they can turn it on at anytime and they are very dangerous. 

I do think it's SCV to win or LOSE. Kind of like 2015. Honestly it was a total shock that BD pulled off that stunning come from behind win...without winning Quarters or Semis. That should be a reminder that in a close competitive season NOBODY is guaranteed a win by virtue of a  recent past win. Funny that the caption award winners is a combo of all three performances but finals and a DCI winner is just ...finals night.

25 minutes ago, afd said:

I do think it's SCV to win or LOSE. Kind of like 2015. Honestly it was a total shock that BD pulled off that stunning come from behind win...without winning Quarters or Semis. That should be a reminder that in a close competitive season NOBODY is guaranteed a win by virtue of a  recent past win. Funny that the caption award winners is a combo of all three performances but finals and a DCI winner is just ...finals night.

I think that system makes sense though. The caption awards are trying to find the best section of the season and that involves some sort of measurement of consistency. Averaging over 3 days allows for that rather than a corps getting severely penalized for one bad run over the course of the 3 days

The champion being decided on the final night also makes sense because it is a combination of 8 different captions and so it is less likely (but not impossible, see 2015) that one bad run will influence the final result 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I think that system makes sense though. The caption awards are trying to find the best section of the season and that involves some sort of measurement of consistency. Averaging over 3 days allows for that rather than a corps getting severely penalized for one bad run over the course of the 3 days

The champion being decided on the final night also makes sense because it is a combination of 8 different captions and so it is less likely (but not impossible, see 2015) that one bad run will influence the final result 

I know. I like it that way but it's still kinda weird.