How do the judges form this Borg Collective, a singularity of thought all season?

Despite the OP's wacky conspiracy theories, I sometimes wonder the same thing. The apparent consistency we see in scoring is a legitimate subject for discussion. Not that there is an attempt to fix the scores - in the way that corporations get in trouble for price fixing - but how the scores come out relatively consistent across various performances in different venues, different weather, etc. I could understand it easier if judging was a more quantitative process rather than qualitative. But assigning a value to the attributes of a field performance is hugely subjective.  Just to be clear, I don't think there is anything being done in bad faith by the judges. I just don't understand how judges are able to create a discrete scale for assigning value to something as ephemeral and indeterminate as the artistic content of a production. Once you get past the fundamentals of tuning, the most basic principles of visual design and execution, it would seem that it would get very subjective very quickly.

If anyone who has actual judging experience can shed light on how they prepare and what they do to provide consistency in their judging, I'd love to learn about it. 

Edited by GlenI
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

This is the unfortunate state of our society right now. The term "fake news" is about as intellectual as the person who popularized it.

Can we leave politics out of DCP?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

indicate poor judging,

I did not say poor judging that's what you read into my post, I respect that and would not try and berate you in any way. I wonder why scores do not vary in such that The Mandarins who don't need a large venue to get their visual across and Boston who does need a large venue to get their visual across doesn't reflect that way on that particular night or judging in a vacuum , it's a Mandarins / Boston (as example and I love both shows) issue to address if anything and not the judges job to think Boston nailed it that night.

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

I did not say poor judging that's what you read into my post, I respect that and would not try and berate you in any way. I wonder why scores do not vary in such that The Mandarins who don't need a large venue to get their visual across and Boston who does need a large venue to get their visual across doesn't reflect that way on that particular night or judging in a vacuum , it's a Mandarins / Boston (as example and I love both shows) issue to address if anything and not the judges job to think Boston nailed it that night.

Could you elaborate on this? What about Boston's show indicates that it requires a larger venue in order to get its visual program across as compared to the Mandarins? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Could you elaborate on this? What about Boston's show indicates that it requires a larger venue in order to get its visual program across as compared to the Mandarins? 

Lived it last night in Olathe ran into some Argonne buddies who just  came in from St Louis and sitting up high in Olathe they lost out on things that Boston does that was physically impossible to see from their vantage point and the crowd reaction reflected such but scores did not. Boston is fine not pointing to any negatives with the show can't wait I will see them down low with a large display so I don't miss anything, it's all good.  Just a simple question.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

34 minutes ago, GlenI said:

Despite the OP's wacky conspiracy theories

I am getting an audio hiss that stared today when I log onto DCP goes away when I visit other sites, seriously it just stared today like the old analog hiss that is not too common anymore any one else hearing that. Maybe it's the Russians beware!!!

I have never had anything to do with judging or even looking at a rubric or score sheet for BOA, DCI, DCA or any competitive marching event...but there is this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-rater_reliability

When trying to quantify anything that has subjective components you want good interrater reliability. 

Just read the first paragraph.

...not that I always agree with the outcome :whistle:

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2