How do the judges form this Borg Collective, a singularity of thought all season?

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

And I still think the judges were blind in 1979 when Phantom lost to Blue Devils and in 1980, 27th was robbed. So 38, 39 years from now you'll be even more convinced Cavies should have won every year. 

For Cavies, 79 and 80 were the "Santa Esmerelda" years, a great opener which is classic old school now but innovative at the time. 

I REMEMBER READING THAT!!! Man, what I would do to hear that live!

11 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Just try to use sentences with less than 8 words.  Stick in a period.  Then start a new sentence.

Thank You I feel a genuine concern. I post over at GLP and am a terror. I bring the trolls and shills out in groves where they get $3.50 a post to disagree with me and the idiots don't recognize me as their meal ticket, I am just having fun. I think this new world is making folks wonder which side is up or was that  BLOO anyway they don't know which side their bread is buttered on.

The bottom line is most people on DCP are armchair judges, and none of them are qualified to judge a single caption, much less all captions at once from a Flo stream. Myself included. While it's fun to argue and speculate and all of that, one has to remember at the end of the day, you aren't qualified to judge these performances as the judges are. Not nearly as qualified. If you are, then apply to be a judge.

I know some DCI judges, and sure as hell I get frustrated with them a lot, but I know they are good people - people who would never deprive a whole group of their achievement by placing them lower than they should be placed. I don't think any of them would have the heart to do that. I know one quite well and after 2015 finals I was so ###### that BD beat Crown. He took the time to explain to me why he scored the way he did. It was really interesting and eye opening. I knew at that moment he knows a hell of a lot more than I do. All the judges do.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Thank You I feel a genuine concern. I post over at GLP and am a terror. I bring the trolls and shills out in groves where they get $3.50 a post to disagree with me and the idiots don't recognize me as their meal ticket, I am just having fun. I think this new world is making folks wonder which side is up or was that  BLOO anyway they don't know which side their bread is buttered on.

• Like 1

I am an avid amateur photographer and I belong to a camera club. The "Masters Class" has some of the best amateur photographers in the country. I'm not in this category, and probably will not be, but six times a year there are competitions. For years I could never understand how the judges decided which images in the Masters Class would win awards. Every image was always in focus, every image was original or at least had an original look at something familiar. I went to a workshop how judges who are approved by the Photographic Society of America (PSA) evaluate photos. Though it was meant to help people improve their own photos or select images for competition, but it helped undertsnd why certain photos in the masters Class received prizes and why some did not.

I've often thought that if judges for DCI could better explain how they judged, it would be helpful. Perhaps if DCI produced a video it might help.

Something else that is important too, talk with folks who know drill, color guard, percussion, brass, design, etc. I don't always like the shows that win, but in most cases I understand why they won. If you know a certain area, again share what you know.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Take Boston for instance their show appeals to a larger venue. Last night in Olathe there is no way that the judges had any more idea of how the patterns formed than Santa Claus did but the scores miraculously reflect differently.

May not be as educated as a judge but to me your scores remind me of fake news. Not buying it, that there is any individual thought, fall out of line and your out, I get it. 

But your not kidding anybody. At least I told my HR department years ago I can't help you the world is just as bad today and am saying Merry Christmas from now on (sent me for sensitvity training or charm school like we liked to call it) at least I tried.

Never underestimate the power of Kris Kringle’s low level visual judging acuity. He knows when you are bad or good, for goodness sakes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Something else that is important too, talk with folks who know drill, color guard, percussion, brass, design, etc. I don't always like the shows that win, but in most cases I understand why they won. If you know a certain area, again share what you know.

This is a good suggestion. However, if said person starts evaluating percussion after he/she just evaluated guard, walk away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Take Boston for instance their show appeals to a larger venue. Last night in Olathe there is no way that the judges had any more idea of how the patterns formed than Santa Claus did but the scores miraculously reflect differently.

May not be as educated as a judge but to me your scores remind me of fake news. Not buying it, that there is any individual thought, fall out of line and your out, I get it. 

But your not kidding anybody. At least I told my HR department years ago I can't help you the world is just as bad today and am saying Merry Christmas from now on (sent me for sensitvity training or charm school like we liked to call it) at least I tried.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I am an avid amateur photographer and I belong to a camera club. The "Masters Class" has some of the best amateur photographers in the country. I'm not in this category, and probably will not be, but six times a year there are competitions. For years I could never understand how the judges decided which images in the Masters Class would win awards. Every image was always in focus, every image was original or at least had an original look at something familiar. I went to a workshop how judges who are approved by the Photographic Society of America (PSA) evaluate photos. Though it was meant to help people improve their own photos or select images for competition, but it helped undertsnd why certain photos in the masters Class received prizes and why some did not.

I've often thought that if judges for DCI could better explain how they judged, it would be helpful. Perhaps if DCI produced a video it might help.

Ive helped design/designed shows in WGI for the last 5 years in 3 different classes and someone on here said I don't know anything about design.  So would these people really care?

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Ive helped design/designed shows in WGI for the last 5 years in 3 different classes and someone on here said I don't know anything about design.  So would these people really care?

If in the last five years you have designed shows for three different WGI classes, you should also know that WGI, along with BOA, is responsible for all that is wrong with drum corps, and perhaps all that is wrong in the world today!:bored:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3