Layering?

37 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Beginning of season - Heres a prop

Middle of the season - we move prop and it looks nice

End of Season - The prop is used to tell the whole story and now the concept is clear.

It adds dimesions to what you are doing and answers the what and the why.  How many groups come out with the end of the show you see at finals? Id be shocked if there still is one but what they do is take the placeholder and turn it into a new event.  When I designed my show last year we had deadlines of adding in effects such as first show is just perform and play, next show add in emotions, next show add in the props, and final show add in the black makeup to resemble everyone dying. 

Totally, but people say things like, "oh yeah, once they're done layering" this and that. Everyone is doing that with every element of their show. No one comes out first show in June full done and finalized. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that's what people are getting at when we say "whatever." Everyone does it.

• Thanks 1

" Layering " , it should be pointed out, can have different meanings in the summers and winters in different parts of country as well.

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's all about making changes, but in vastly different ways.  "Layering" or "adding layers" is a type of change to the show.  If you think in terms of music, there are composers, arrangers, orchestrators, and editors. There are also transcriptions and adaptions. They all mean something a little different. 

• In competitive marching arts layering simply refers to adding elements to an already existing idea. It's like adding salt and pepper to your burger while cooking, and then adding mustard and onion after cooking. The burger is the main ingredient and additions were made.
  • In drum corps there are times when a portion of the show changes completely. When that happens we have a Rewrite. Maybe a 20 second chunk is cut from the original show and rewritten.
  • When a portion of the show is taken out for good, here we have a cut; but sometimes material may get cut and then newly composed material is pasted in. Cut and Paste. The pasted part may be a rewrite or arranged/adapted material from another source or portion of the show. :)
  • Sometimes we see the original idea rearranged and edited in a way that the general idea is still there but major edits were made.  To me this is Arranging and Editing.
  • If the base idea stays in tact (for the most part) and additional ideas are added ON TOP of that base idea, then to me that is Layering. 
  • When a drum corps chooses music that was written for another purpose (motion picture score for example) they are adapting that music for their show theme. In doing so they must arrange that music to fit their needs, they must alter the instrumentation for brass, percussion and pit, and they must orchestrate for the desired sound and style...and on and on. 

Changes to shows are important, but there are different types.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Totally, but people say things like, "oh yeah, once they're done layering" this and that. Everyone is doing that with every element of their show. No one comes out first show in June full done and finalized. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that's what people are getting at when we say "whatever." Everyone does it.

Um scrapping a whole chunk of drill vs adding body to a chunk of drill is 2 different things.  You cant add a layer by throwing out the layer.  So if you think layering and changes are the same thing good grief.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Um scrapping a whole chunk of drill vs adding body to a chunk of drill is 2 different things.  You cant add a layer by throwing out the layer.  So if you think layering and changes are the same thing good grief.

Where in the hell did I ever say layering and complete restructuring or changes are the same thing. You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. Good grief, indeed!

And BTW before you insult someone's intelligence perhaps it's just nicer to say, "Hey, are you saying layering and making changes are the same thing?" if you may be misinterpreting what someone is saying, or they didn't state their point so eloquently. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Yes.. but.... it seems to fit because...... well...

Image result for fancy words... gif

And there's some kind of hot cheese over there!

[edit to add a note to say I enjoy the various levels this exact quote works in this completely different context]

Edited by KVG_DC

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Where in the hell did I ever say layering and complete restructuring or changes are the same thing. You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. Good grief, indeed!

And BTW before you insult someone's intelligence perhaps it's just nicer to say, "Hey, are you saying layering and making changes are the same thing?" if you may be misinterpreting what someone is saying, or they didn't state their point so eloquently. 

There have been about 10 people that have said they are the same thing.  The you in " So if you think layering and changes are the same thing good grief." is an interpretation and you took it as you but it is in general.  Perhaps you should say "Hey, are you saying you as an individual or as someone that believes they are the same?" 

:smile:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

There have been about 10 people that have said they are the same thing.  The you in " So if you think layering and changes are the same thing good grief." is an interpretation and you took it as you but it is in general.  Perhaps you should say "Hey, are you saying you as an individual or as someone that believes they are the same?" 

:smile:

Well you quoted me, so I thought you were calling me out. I'm sorry I took it as a slap at me. No, they are not the same thing, but I think the point is, is that every group is making changes and improving their show. All the time we see people making comments about how this corps is going to surge and that corps going to surge. They're not. The groups are set. There will be movements within that group, but not beyond that (most likely) layering, changes or what not.

• Thanks 1

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

Well you quoted me, so I thought you were calling me out. I'm sorry I took it as a slap at me. No, they are not the same thing, but I think the point is, is that every group is making changes and improving their show. All the time we see people making comments about how this corps is going to surge and that corps going to surge. They're not. The groups are set. There will be movements within that group, but not beyond that (most likely) layering, changes or what not.

Initial response to everyone is doing that.  When I marched we had 4-5 different openers/intro drioll chunks.  There wasn't cleaning or layering until the final one was put in because they couldnt figure out which worked best.  If we started the season with the first one and developed it it would have made more sense.