Full disclosure: I'm jumping to the end of the thread and replying without reading :smile:

Taking a 100% subjective competition (while acknowledging the efforts to make it more objective) and comparing scores for:

• Different performances
  • Different shows
  • Different judges
  • Different years

is a completely futile exercise.

IMO, Crown's percussion has made major strides the last 3 years. That said, it's not like the the previous years were bad.

• Like 2

I marched in a local junior corps, way back when... our percussion would have loved to have been as "bad" as Crown's lines from 2012 to the present. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bad? No.

Weakest link? Yes.

Until this year. Best section they've had since 2009.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I noted that these are all Box 5 scores

What does "Box 5" mean?  Are there other boxes?

Forgive the question, I'm not a DCI judge and have not been trained on judging a drum corps performance.

23 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Forgive the question, I'm not a DCI judge and have not been trained on judging a drum corps performance.

Judges' sheets have questions that the judge is supposed to answer with reference to each corps (relating to their content and achievement). At the bottom of the sheet is a series of boxes with potential answers to those questions (ranging from "Never" to "Always" through "Sometimes," don't remember the other two) and score ranges associated with each box. Box 5 is "Always," with score ranges from 90-100.

• Thanks 1

Sure would be nice to have an example set of sheets pinned on this site for reference.

Has anyone ever asked that before?

:whistle:

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Box 5 means 90%. Or "Always".

As opposed to "Usually", "Sometimes", "Infrequently" and "Rarely".

As in is the percussion achieving "clarity of rhythmic articulation" and "balance and blend" and "expressiveness and musicianship" and so forth "always"? Or not?

[Here are the sheets, at least as they looked in 2013.

(Thanks to skywhopper for having posted a link that I could find quickly.)

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, c mor said:

Sure would be nice to have an example set of sheets pinned on this site for reference.

Has anyone ever asked that before?

:whistle:

I'm also curious as to what updates, if any, have been made to the sheets since the version linked above were made public.

In prior years I think they were being overshadowed by the horn line. It was about 10 minutes of look at how good we play. The show design is much more balanced now to give them more exposure. Their battery is not the chop monsters that SCV and BD are but they are playing their book very well. They being said, they lack the wow factor in their playing because it isn’t as complex as some other groups.

The front ensemble is doing their job well too. They just don’t have memorable moments that set them apart that I have seen.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

(OK, maybe some hyperbole there, but read on!)

These were Carolina Crown's percussion scores in Finals for the five years prior to last season:

blah blah blah

I'm wondering what you're trying to achieve with this post.

You show scores from past years, and use them against this year's scores, when a corps has been striving to achieve better scores in this caption. Since they now ARE, you're using their past scores to say everyone else is terrible? 

THEN - you also show this year's scores from multiple corps (from early July) and say that there's not one Box 5 score among them, when a Box 5 score = a total score of 90... so you're saying people should basically be scoring 90 in early July?

...or am I missing something here?