Belton, TX - July 19, 2018

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

We can't argue about the scores tonite... this stinks

Somebody who was there can extrapolate the scores and post them here. They can take into account the variables that changed this contest, modify everything accordingly, and be unbiased.

Then everyone could provide helpful feedback after they're posted.

19 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

Somebody who was there can extrapolate the scores and post them here. They can take into account the variables that changed this contest, modify everything accordingly, and be unbiased.

Then everyone could provide helpful feedback after they're posted.

Well I watched it on Flo and I liked Pacific Crest the best last night, so there’s your winner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bluzes said:

FLO was FLO tonight the corps had decent video & audio with a few glitches here and there maybe a C+ rating  . The most disturbing part is getting the circle of death going in and out of the two FLO commercials (buffer flushes) but not when they air the dci commercials. They must be switching away from the local production truck to Austin for their two spots why I can't say. I have such bad continuations concerning the two companies that are risking their reputations with FLO. It's like eating a good meal at a restaurant but discovering a bug in your desert. In a few weeks BOX5 is streaming DCA so there will be a benchmark.

A week from tomorrow is Peckville.   

Quick thoughts -

The heat was worse than expected.  Got dizzy just walking from the visitor parking to the bus lot and back.  Not sure how in the world the kids did it, especially the early corps.  Once the sun started to go down, it actually became fairly pleasant, but rehearsal clothes was the right choice.

The rehearsal gear actually went down pretty well with the crowd.  It gave the contest a more intimate feel, though the crowd was kind of subdued.  Almost dying of heat exhaustion early on will do that to you.

Of course I thought Guardians did well, but I was also pleasantly surprised by Genesis, Spirit, Pacific Crest and Oregon Crusaders!  Fan-friendly, charming shows that translate way better live than on video.  Oregon in particular has a brilliantly constructed program that if you know The Shining has a ton of easter eggs hidden inside.

Boston's amps and electronics are overwhelming down low.  Also, they left two mics aimed at the field in case any hornlines wandered by and needed amplification - I think they were the only corps that did that.

All in all, it was my annual reminder that live drum corps beats video-ed drum corps every day of the week!

Mike

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Big yellow flags for a big Mello hit!  That's a nice closing number although I suspect it'll end differently by Michigan City. 

It will.  There's another 30-45 seconds that come after that ending.  Should be in place by either Denver next week or IA a few days later.

Mike

11 hours ago, skevinp said:

I mostly meant the resolution, but I admit I do have 5 applications, 7 documents and 21 tabs open at the moment.

On my laptop if I’m multitasking while watching a Flo stream, it buffers and pauses like no other. I’ve learned to just let my laptop be when streaming and to just use my phone or iPad instead to do any work that I need 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Think Madison should scrap their regular attire and wear what they did tonight. Less offensive w/o the veins popping out of their skin. For those who had to endure tragedy first hand their regular attire is not a welcome sight.

Man, oh man are their soloists good.  Not just the flugelhorn either - they've got some talented members all through that upper brass.  I do like their show this year, but it left my family pretty flat.  I admit, it's not really until the closer that they actually sound like vintage Madison.

Mike

11 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Any word how they will handle Katy tomorrow. Forecast is for the high 90's but the Houston area experiences the worst humidity in Texas, safety first!

I would assume that DCI Hq will be consistent and make the Katy show a non scored event too and allow all the performers to be safe and healthy and allowed to perform in street clothes there too. I looked at the weather for Katty and its supposed to have a heat index of 98-101, so thats really not that much different than Denton, Belton last evening ( 100-103  between 8pm-11 :30 pm)  there in Texas... even at the projected  9-11 pm time frame as well. Heat indexes at 100 or over are not to be trifled with, as we all know.

Edited by BRASSO