DCI.org: Delayed starts, no uniforms & no scores for both of tonight's Texas shows.

1 minute ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

I can see where you are coming from on this.  At what point is it over protective versus dangerous. I can only say this, I grew up in Texas my whole life.  Worked on a farm growing up and hauled hay in June-August on many hot days (picture picking up over 1000 80 pound bales of hay, placing it on a trailer, sometimes up to 6 feet high, and then unloading the hay in a hot barn).  These temperatures of over 100 degrees are another matter though.  I think that precaution is warranted here, but maybe moving the dates as well.

Yep having a family member in the hospital for a week with heat prostration know how dangerous it can be. Took an ice bed to lower the body temp below 100. 

As for one state cancel classes for low temps and others don't depends on what people are used to dealing with. Iow little snow in PA means little, in GA.....

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep having a family member in the hospital for a week with heat prostration know how dangerous it can be. Took an ice bed to lower the body temp below 100. 

As for one state cancel classes for low temps and others don't depends on what people are used to dealing with. Iow little snow in PA means little, in GA.....

Some states are not equipped for snow. 1 inch of snow can completely destroy the state of Georgia because they do not invest in proper snow equipment (due to how rare snowfall is), while in Vermont such an occurrence is routine and there is ample resources to combat snow

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Some states are not equipped for snow. 1 inch of snow can completely destroy the state of Georgia because they do not invest in proper snow equipment (due to how rare snowfall is), while in Vermont such an occurrence is routine and there is ample resources to combat snow

Plus knowledge of how to deal with it. Was in DC area after an inch or two of snow. Watched traffic and amazed how people did stuff that showed their lack of knowledge (trying to be nice here). Still remember live tv broadcast from the Mall. Behind the reporter you could see a car hauling butt down the road. Sure enough he spun out... live....

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Plus knowledge of how to deal with it. Was in DC area after an inch or two of snow. Watched traffic and amazed how people did stuff that showed their lack of knowledge (trying to be nice here). Still remember live tv broadcast from the Mall. Behind the reporter you could see a car hauling butt down the road. Sure enough he spun out... live....

That’s funny because I’m actually from the DC metro area, lived there my whole life. The drivers here are indeed... special 

• Haha 2

North Indiana boy who learned to drive on snow pack.    I'm now living in DC and yeah.  People here generally have NO idea.  The biggest issues are 1) I don't have to slow down from my normal speed because I need to get home fast because it's snowing. 2) I'm going down hill too fast on snow and ice!  OMG hit the brakes hard to get control of the vehicle!  3) Whew, made it to the bottom of the hill and am now at a complete stop, I guess I can floor it to get up the next hill, right?

I remember a school bus getting stuck for 4 hours with their kids one time because they wiped out at the bottom of a hill like that and couldn't get up the next one. 

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Your Southern bias is showing when you use words like "combat" to speak about snow.

Snow is beautiful. It nourishes the earth and protects the soil from winter winds. No matter whether you pay Mr. Green Thumb or Mr. Crabgrass to clip your lawn, everyone is equal as you look across the vista. Snow is great for recreation, for painting the usual in new hues and gentle scenes, in manifesting that humans aren't in control of life, just are its stewards.  People who don't like snow are usually people with strains of depression in their personality and are often power freaks. Snow challenges us to adjust, adapt and rediscover.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Your Southern bias is showing when you use words like "combat" to speak about snow.

Snow is beautiful. It nourishes the earth and protects the soil from winter winds. No matter whether you pay Mr. Green Thumb or Mr. Crabgrass to clip your lawn, everyone is equal as you look across the vista. Snow is great for recreation, for painting the usual in new hues and gentle scenes, in manifesting that humans aren't in control of life, just are its stewards.  People who don't like snow are usually people with strains of depression in their personality and are often power freaks. Snow challenges us to adjust, adapt and rediscover.

That's quite the extrapolation. I love snow itself. I hate having to drive in it and yes, it is indeed a battle to use any vehicle in the south when it snows because of how poorly equipped the state government is to handle it. 

Btw, Cornell University has one of the highest rates of suicide and depression in the country. Part of the reason is because of the academic rigor of course, but also its isolated location, and dreary weather which includes excessive snowfall. Seasonal depression is a real thing and is often found in states with especially long winters :sad:

Edited by Cappybara

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That's quite the extrapolation. I love snow itself. I hate having to drive in it and yes, it is indeed a battle to use any vehicle in the south when it snows because of how poorly equipped the state government is to handle it. 

Btw, Cornell University has one of the highest rates of suicide and depression in the country. Part of the reason is because of the academic rigor of course, but also its isolated location, and dreary weather which includes excessive snowfall. 

Nearest I came to wiping out in winter was between Richmond and Norfolk in January 25 years ago. Came around a curve and big old mess of sand there for (supposed) traction. Made the corner but my Saturn station wagon was kind of at an angle compared to the road. 

Ok what's the latest on the show?

36 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Snow is beautiful. It nourishes the earth and protects the soil from winter winds.

It also reflects sunlight. I read an amazing article a year or two ago about this Russian biologist who's got this crazy plan to clone mammoths (from DNA of mammoths found in ice) and release them across Siberia, where they would uproot lots of trees and return forested areas to a tundra state that would be more able to reflect sunlight into space (in both summer and winter) and thus slow global warming. Doesn't seem very practical, but desperate times and all that.

Let's see if I can find it again ...

Yes! Welcome to Pleistocene Park.

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

They may say they don't invest in snow equipment due to its rarity -- but snow is not actually rare in north Georgia (or north Alabama, where I now live). Relatively infrequent?  Sure. But we get some measurable snow most years than not. Since 1980, Atlanta has officially had measurable snow in 26 years, and not had measurable snow in 11 years.